• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using DDR400 mems with an Asus A7V8X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Michal[mt]

Hi All =]
I have tried these days to make my DDR400 A-Data memories going up to 200 mhz but the result was not comfortable at all.
If I well remember to obtein a frequency of 400 mhz the KT400 chipset does not allow more than 1 dimm to be plugged in.
The fact is that I have two 5ns dimms and both are working at 180 mhz.
I have tried to push my memeries till to 194 mhz and they worked fine but when I restarted my system nothing happened...it seemed like my northbridge became too hot.
The question I want to ask you is:
Is it possible to use more than 1 dimm with a frequency of 200 mhz on my motherboard? And have I to use an active cooling system on my northbridge in manner to make it more stable passing the 182 mhz freq. value?
Has anyone experienced something similar?

Norrko

Active cooling of the NB is good... It often helps to just put a 40x40 mm fan on it. But the lack of the 6'th pci divider gives problem as your pci bus gets to high. My old A7V8X ran at... 194 Mhz I think... Higer than that and my HD crapped out on me... 200 Mhz is almost impossible to get if you want to run in sync with memory. The get 200 Mhz memory speed you have to run it async... That's why I bought the A7N8X.. Good luck! And keep us posted...

/Norrko

OP
Michal[mt]

Michal[mt]

Thanks for your reply =]
Well...194 mhz should be enough for me...
Norrko could you tell me why the A7V8X mb can handle 3 pc2100 dimms and only 1 pc3200 dimm?
I have read it in more than one article that was explaining this mobo characteristics...and never understood why this chipset uses this approach.
Thanks.

Damian

I think it has to do with the amount of power supplied to the mobo; apparently many mobos don't give enough power for 3 dimms at such a high speed.

OP
Michal[mt]

Michal[mt]

Huh...thanks Damian...that's why when I use 2 dimms clocked at 186 mhz all 3d app freeze.
However I am running too fast to give any conclusion...I have to test a bit more in depth my system, I mean.

Norrko

Damian said:
I think it has to do with the amount of power supplied to the mobo; apparently many mobos don't give enough power for 3 dimms at such a high speed.

Here's the facts about the memory...

When the A7V8X began to show up there were no JEDEC spec. of how the memory should work.. That's why it has the inofficial DDR400 support. The reason of why you could use only one Dimm at 400 and 2 at 333 is that were to much interference between the memory slots and the traces as there were no JEDEC of how it should work. 2 Dimms at 400 were more than the chipset and the layout could handle. The powersupply has nothing to do with it, if your not on a 230W PS... The memory take anly a small amount of power compaired to, for example, the processor.

/Norrko