• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using [email protected] with AMD 64 Processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UlicBelouve

Well, I've had the [email protected] running for about a year now, just joined THIS team (my prior team up and died or something. Er...sorry, bad pun.)

Anyways, now that I have it running on an AMD 64 3200+ rig, it just seems really slow. I don't know if I have something switched wrong (my board has the support for this Cool 'n' Quiet technology, though I haven't turned it on or anything).

But shouldn't this thing be faster? It just seems to be plugging along slower than I remember my old AMD 2500+ rig going at.

If there's anything special for setting this up, let me know. Thanks. Also, my apologies if this is covered elsewhere. I didn't have the search function working right, nor do I have the great connection needed to browse all the forums.

Mr.Furious

Despite folding not having support for 64bit besides some beta clients that only give you a like 15% increase your chip should still be folding quite fast at 32bit. We dont know exactly what your setup is or whats going on so you cant really say why its slow.... or it could just be that you expect such huge performance gains and are disappointed lol that happens to alot of friends of mine when new products come out.

OP
UlicBelouve

UlicBelouve

Hrm. Could be. I think it's because I had 1.2 GB ram in my other box, but only 512 in this one. (switch from DDR333 to DDR400).

It runs OK, but I remember that, once I had it set up before, it cranked through stuff like nothing. But that was fresh install, so maybe I just have other things sucking up more resources. Thanks thus far, I'll scrounge around in what might be taking up processes.

But please post more if you have insight.

Fast420A

Can you post more specs on the rig? Whats the clockspeed of the older rig and this one? Also you have to remember that there are LOTS of different WU's and they all fold at different speeds.

veryhumid

welcome to the team, man! it's really good to have you helping us out! maybe it is just the certain protein you are working on. and don't forget every protein is different.

OP
UlicBelouve

UlicBelouve

Hrm. OK, here's what I can get:

Mobo: ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
Proc: AMD 3200+ 64 Processor
HD: Seagate 80GB SATA
RAM: 512MB DDR400 (I think Samsung)
Chipset: VIA
G-Card: Radeon 9700 Pro (w/ LAtest Omega Drivers... omegacorner.com)

Previous box was the same, except I changed the following:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7N400-L
Proc: Athlon 2500+
HD: 80GB Maxtor, and a 21GB Maxtor
Chipset: nForce2
(edit) Oh yeah, the RAM was 1.2GB DDR333 (Apacer/Samsung)

I think it may also be the types of protiens I've been getting. And I also have some hunch that it is software related, because like I said, it's run faster after the fresh install, but after having NAV and a ZoneAlarm Firewall, and, well, that's mostly the only things that run full time...it runs slower.

I'll work on it. Hopefully those things will help, and I'll keep checking back.

Last edited:

stan03

it also depends on what proteins you are getting. recently there have been loads of tinkers which take much longer to fold. Do you have EMIII (www.em-dc.com) so you can check what protein you have and the time per frame? i think its just because a year ago it was more gromacs and stuff, now its more tinkers.

also check in task manager and see how many cycles folding is getting.

OP
UlicBelouve

UlicBelouve

Eh......m000?

Damn. Found that Windows sez:
Computer:
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
816 MHz
512 MB RAM

Something musta goofed it up, because I don't think it's merely 816.

In addition, the protiens I am folding are....
p694_L939_wt_ext

OP
UlicBelouve

UlicBelouve

OK. Fixed it. I'm at 2.2 GHz, and have to start my overclocking from there again. Now we're folding like a MOFO, so be glad I'm up and running again, because that's more protiens and work for this awesome team.

Now to find some article that would give me great direction on overclocking my 64 Proc.

Drop-Top

you might have to check your FSB on your mobo. I don't have any XP with 64 bit, but I know my buddies amd board defaulted his FSB at 100 when it can run at 200.

@md0Cer

UlicBelouve said:
OK. Fixed it. I'm at 2.2 GHz, and have to start my overclocking from there again. Now we're folding like a MOFO, so be glad I'm up and running again, because that's more protiens and work for this awesome team.

Now to find some article that would give me great direction on overclocking my 64 Proc.

Thats nice to hear! And welcome to the team!

Always keep in mind that sometimes you will fold slower every now and then with more/less complex proteins. But, you know your rig, so I am sure you can tell when it is only folding at 800MHz. Another way to tell would be your temps, if it is running cooler than usual it is probably not running at full speed.

As for your comment on the ram, as long as you have enough ram for the FAH console to run, it should be perfectly fine. I am able to run FAH and other programs on 256MB of ram with about 50 or so MB to spare.

FAH does not really benefit from more ram or more L2 cache on the CPU. ;)

Good Luck and again, welcome to team 32!

portorock

It could be the power scheme that you have the comp setup for. If you keep it set to "Always on", it will make the cpu run at max capability, vise having set to "Max Battery Life" which will ramp the speeds down until those spare cycles are needed.

stan03

portorock said:
It could be the power scheme that you have the comp setup for. If you keep it set to "Always on", it will make the cpu run at max capability, vise having set to "Max Battery Life" which will ramp the speeds down until those spare cycles are needed.

he fixed it already... ;)