• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using install code to get full Win 7 home version

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

renol

Is it possible to use the install code you get from the manufacturer to buy the disc full version of your Windows 7 OS instead of using their crappy recovery cd?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Huh?

Are you asking if you have a laptop or Dell or something that you use the code that came with it for a full install? I dont think it works that way, sorry.

johnz

I'm not sure what you're asking. I know with XP, you could use a generic oem disc to reinstall, and you'd have to call in for activation. I'm guessing it's the same with Vista and 7, but you'd have to try it out yourself.

Randyman...

I think the OP is asking if a full W7 DVD would work with his key (from what I gather, his PC only included "Recovery Disks", and not a full OS on a standalone DVD).

You could buy another copy of W7 to get the installation DVD, but you already own a license. The licence keys that come with pre-built PC's are almost always "OEM", and should likely work with the equivalent OEM DVD disc.

EG: If you have a W7 Home Premium 32-Bit license key on your PC, and you find a W7 Home Premium 32-Bit OEM DVD, your legit W7 key *should* work. This is likely a "Grey Area", but you can try DL'ing an "Untouched" W7 OEM DVD - this should not be an issue as long as you find a clean one w/o root-kits and viri. FWIW - A W7 "Retail Disc" likely won't work with your "OEM" key...

:cool:

OP
renol

renol

I think the OP is asking if a full W7 DVD would work with his key (from what I gather, his PC only included "Recovery Disks", and not a full OS on a standalone DVD).

You could buy another copy of W7 to get the installation DVD, but you already own a license. The licence keys that come with pre-built PC's are almost always "OEM", and should likely work with the equivalent OEM DVD disc.

EG: If you have a W7 Home Premium 32-Bit license key on your PC, and you find a W7 Home Premium 32-Bit OEM DVD, your legit W7 key *should* work. This is likely a "Grey Area", but you can try DL'ing an "Untouched" W7 OEM DVD - this should not be an issue as long as you find a clean one w/o root-kits and viri. FWIW - A W7 "Retail Disc" likely won't work with your "OEM" key...

:cool:

I was more pointing toward seeing if it's possible in getting a full win 7 disc and not using the recovery disc. Instead I would be using the license key and requesting Microsoft to send a full version disc linked to that key?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
There isnt a disc linked to the key. You can DL W7 from MS for free I believe, or get it off a torrent. The part you are paying for is the key to use the software, not the software itself.

Mr.Guvernment

Buy an OEM copy of the version you got and the code will work.

or get it off a torrent.

You should know talk of piracy is not allowed on OCF, downloading an MS OS from a torrent is not legal, and if not careful you could end up with a copy with modified code.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
We can't discuss downloading windows from torrents here. And MS does not permit you to download copies from p2p and use your valid key that way.

vixro

Buy an OEM copy of the version you got and the code will work.

You should know talk of piracy is not allowed on OCF, downloading an MS OS from a torrent is not legal, and if not careful you could end up with a copy with modified code.

I don't want to call you out on a specific, but I have to.

Torrenting was created for sharing of large files from multiple sources to increase download speed and offset the bandwidth usage by a single server. It was not created with the intent to pirate software (how it is used mostly now). Many places use torrents to share legitimate downloads and legal files. So him suggesting to get it from a torrent could be innocent. :salute:

Flurp

Well, If you get the Disc that has Win 7 installer on it... Then yes the key which I'm assuming is stickered to the bottom of the computer if it's a lappy or otherwise the key you would need if you used the recovery cd... it would work.

Edit: maybe a friend of yours has the DVD and would let you borrow the disc to install it with your key?

OP
renol

renol

Well, If you get the Disc that has Win 7 installer on it... Then yes the key which I'm assuming is stickered to the bottom of the computer if it's a lappy or otherwise the key you would need if you used the recovery cd... it would work.

Edit: maybe a friend of yours has the DVD and would let you borrow the disc to install it with your key?

Yar good idea there but what if MS coded the keys to the cds specifically.??? eh eh? :comp:

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I don't want to call you out on a specific, but I have to.

Torrenting was created for sharing of large files from multiple sources to increase download speed and offset the bandwidth usage by a single server. It was not created with the intent to pirate software (how it is used mostly now). Many places use torrents to share legitimate downloads and legal files. So him suggesting to get it from a torrent could be innocent. :salute:

No, its not. Windows is not distributed using the bittorent protocol, and in the usage in this thread it was implying getting a warez copy.

OP
renol

renol

The keys are not coded to the cds specifically... so enjoy

Oh nice, maybe I'll try that. It just seems wierd to only give the key and a recovery cd. I would prefer getting the actual software. I'm sure MS has a way to give you a cd you just got to choke them for it hehe.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I had no idea getting Windows off a torrent with a legit key was illegal...nor did I get the impression that it was for illegal use considering he stated he had a legit key. My bad for even throwing that out there. Now I know (and knowing is half the battle, GI JOE!!!!!!).

ratbuddy

I had no idea getting Windows off a torrent with a legit key was illegal...nor did I get the impression that it was for illegal use considering he stated he had a legit key. My bad for even throwing that out there. Now I know (and knowing is half the battle, GI JOE!!!!!!).

Not just illegal, a good way to get a pre-rootkitted OS ;)

Xtreme Barton

hard telling what people have inbred in those OS's .. im sure if they can inject some stuff properly they could probably keep it undetected for the most part ..

we have yet to see a true virus !! ones that we cant see !!

i wonder if your webcam is looking at you and you dont know it ..lol

just think district 9