• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using nVidia PCI with ATI AGP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

druidelder

The system currently has a 9600 AIW Pro. I want to add a PCI dual head (dual CRT) card to add two 17" monitors to the setup. The extra monitors would be used to show the inactive windows or an extended track view when editing audio. I was thinking that the best solution would be to keep everything ATI, but I seem to be limited to a 7500 which costs ~$75.

Another option is that I could get an nVidia PCI GF4 MX for considerably less. Would this be a problem? Would I be in driver hell? How would this affect a 3 monitor (or any multi-monitor) desktop setup? Would this relegate me to Windows multi-monitor suport?

Any help is appreciated.

I think it should be fine, I dont think ATi and nVidia program their cards to fight with each other :p

I know a friend of mine had an ATI 9600something and a 4MB SiS card in the same PC, to give him two monitors. Worked fine.

Just to be sure, the PCI card will be supplying the 2nd and 3rd monitor (both CRT). The AIW will be sending output to a CRT and TV. I don't want any cloned screens.

CRT from AIW: main active desktop (most work will be done here, inactive windows will be sent to monitors 2/3)
CRT 2 & 3 PCI: extended secondary desktop (mon 3 to extend from mon 2, audio editting will be done here)
TV: just to see how video looks on TV

Also, how will this work. Will the multi-monitor software from either card work with cards of different manufacture, or will I use the Windows multi-monitor feature for the two cards? Or will I use Windows to seperate the two cards and then each cards multi-monitor software seperately?

I've set up a dual monmitor system using one and two cards, but never more than two monitors. I went to the multi-monitor forum, but they seem to lack the basic understanding of how to turn on a computer (okay, not quite that bad, but pretty close on most of the posts).

Thanks again.

I think I have my question answered. I found a configuration database here. Thanks for the help guys.

Back