• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using speedfan as fan controller...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vipergtsr1736

In the past ive been using a fan controller to control fan speeds, but i recently discovered how useful the SpeedFan program is at automatically controlling fans.
I have my CPU fan hooked up to my board, but there are 3 other case fans that I would like to be able to control as well. I only have a total of 3 connectors on my board, and 4 fans I need to plug in (3 case + 1 CPU fans). Is there any way I can hook all of these fans up in a way so that SpeedFan can control them all?
Indepent control of each one isnt really necessary.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Well, you could always splice the wires, to connect two fans to one header but there is a distinct problem with that - mobo headers can only deliver very limited amperage, and exceeding that limit will mean you end up with a dead mobo header (and it might not go out alone). ;)

You would be better off connecting the fans to the PSU rather than going through the mobo... It is more reliable to get power direct.

If you want to consider still going through the mobo headers, what you need to figure out is how much amperage the fans draw, and how much amperage your mobo headers can supply. Are you considering this with the p4p800 in your sig?

OP
vipergtsr1736

vipergtsr1736

Yes, the P4P800-E Deluxe. I also just found out that speedfan can only change the speed of the CPU fan header, the others dont vary the voltage for some reason. This is ridiculous, what I want is SOME way to control fan speeds automatically based on temperatures (external probes are ok), but it needs to be a device where I can set the temperature at which the fans speed up. Any ideas??? :temper:

mtb856

Don't the TT Smartfan II's come with a temp bulb so they can change their speed automatically? You might look into that and just stick the bulbs on the side of your HS so when you're temps go up the fans turn on or something like that.

Franchize

MTB is right the smartfanII comes with temp sensors that automatically adjust the speed. The TT smartcase fan also has this feature.

greenman100

Disabled
vipergtsr1736 said:
Yes, the P4P800-E Deluxe. I also just found out that speedfan can only change the speed of the CPU fan header, the others dont vary the voltage for some reason. This is ridiculous, what I want is SOME way to control fan speeds automatically based on temperatures (external probes are ok), but it needs to be a device where I can set the temperature at which the fans speed up. Any ideas??? :temper:

thermistor + power transistor + variable resistor + electrical engineering knowledge

Randyman...

FYI - Don't go over about 1 Amp on ther P4C800E-Dlx (total for all 3 Fan ports), or you may damage the MoBo!

I have a simular issue, and Speedfan will not control the other 2 fan ports (just the HSF)...

I just made a 3-way switch with "12v, 5v, and Off" for the "louder" fans, and let the HD/Intake fan and Proc/HSF fan run full speed (High HD temps and Proc temps are NOT worth a slight reduction in noise IMO). I also used a small 2amp Power Supply from my old USB-to-IDE box that I gutted and custom fitted to the rear of my case. Now, any "fan issues" CAN'T POSSIBLY affect the MoBo and main PS (except for the HSF and HD/Intake which are plugged directly into the MoBo's fan ports - so little chance of problems there)... Security!

Later :cool: