• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using the OLD Heat with FAH IRL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

||Console||

I figured some of you would get a laugh from this . Its getting close to spring so for those of us in Canada who like to have a nice garden that means starting our plants indoors so that they are a half decent size . The only place I have the room to do this is in my unheated basement I didnt really feel like heating the whole place to germinate my seeds . So Im using the heat from my I7 920 that is just a folding box to warm up a small box around the seeds .

It has only raised the CPU temps 10 deg .

img_20160227_213732350.jpg img_20160227_213853878.jpg

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
you really need a little wood stove to raise the CO2 level or you could go read to them.

OP
||Console||

||Console||

When taking my herbal meds right next to it I share the love .
Really hoping for some nice peppers this year I was able to grow Jalapenos in my basement with less lights then in that picture .

I am aiming for some day to have a 4 season garden in my basement. The cost of the LED lights are hard to recoup on vegies though .

donuts

I like it.
My wife used to use the heat from our desktop rigs to boost houseplants and starting seedlings. We didn't have to do much, as rigs were in the warmest room. We lived several hours south of you in Maine.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
if you keep the door to the basement closed it will keep the heat from migrating upstairs.

orion456

The nice thing about FAH in the winter is the free heat as a byproduct.

100% of electricity used to power the electrons moving comes out as heat.

Now all you have to do is use it! AND you did use it nicely.