• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using TV as display

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
I'd like to hook up my westinghouse 26" as a secondary display. This will replace a 24" monitor. My tv, a sk26h730s has a vga input. I connected it but it will say "detecting signal"..."no signal detected". I have the nvidia xsetting open, and it detects the monitor, but I can't get any display on it. Any ideas?

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
i take it you set the resolution and refresh rate? not sure if it is possible to use two different refresh rates. to me though it sounds like it could be resolution or refresh keeping the TV from working. if i ran a resolution that my 47in 1080P couldnt do, say higher then 1080P or a refresh it couldnt do. I would get what your getting "no signal detected" would pop up.

GL!

OP
Shelnutt2

Shelnutt2

Hmm, I got it working via component but it's black and white and only at 1024x766, looks horrible, and fuzzy.

MRD

Can you give us some more specs on the TV you are trying to use? Are you connecting with a dsub?

One thing you can try is moving /etc/X11/xorg.conf to some other filename and restarting X. This may cause it to autoconfigure correctly for the new monitor.

I am assuming that the TV would be the sole display... or are you using multiple displays?

Lastly, any chance you are using a DVI output on the video card with a dvi to dsub adapter? If so, do you have a dvi-i or dvi-d card? While it will fit in either case, the adapter won't work with a dvi-d. The 4 pins in the cross area actually transmit analog data. They allow a dvi-i port to work with a dsub connection via an adapter by mapping those 4 pins to the right pins on the 15 pin analog dsub. The dvi-d does not have any analog output, only digital, so no amount of remapping pins will create an analog output usable by a dsub vga display. There are adapters that will do the job, but these require some chips, including a digital to analog converter, and are much pricier than the kind that are passive and simply remap pins.

OP
Shelnutt2

Shelnutt2

Can you give us some more specs on the TV you are trying to use? Are you connecting with a dsub?

One thing you can try is moving /etc/X11/xorg.conf to some other filename and restarting X. This may cause it to autoconfigure correctly for the new monitor.

I am assuming that the TV would be the sole display... or are you using multiple displays?

Lastly, any chance you are using a DVI output on the video card with a dvi to dsub adapter? If so, do you have a dvi-i or dvi-d card? While it will fit in either case, the adapter won't work with a dvi-d. The 4 pins in the cross area actually transmit analog data. They allow a dvi-i port to work with a dsub connection via an adapter by mapping those 4 pins to the right pins on the 15 pin analog dsub. The dvi-d does not have any analog output, only digital, so no amount of remapping pins will create an analog output usable by a dsub vga display. There are adapters that will do the job, but these require some chips, including a digital to analog converter, and are much pricier than the kind that are passive and simply remap pins.

I have some more info here, http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-809787.html . I'll recap it.

I'm using multimonitor, nvidia twinview. I have a 19" samsung, hooked up via DVI. I then tried to hook my monitor up via a DVI to VGA adapter (that I've used before, came with my 7800gt), gentoo/nvidia settings recognized the monitor but tried to label it as a CRT. When I adjusted the settings the tv would say, "detecting signal" then "no signal detected". I tried manually setting the resolution and freshrate in my xorg config but that didn't help. my 7800gt has a video out, so I hooked up my component adapter, and ran component cables to my tv. The tv then works, but only at 1024x768, and in black and white.

I tried to adjust it but I couldn't set any other resolutions and get them to work. In debian at this resolution the tv is in color, but this resolution makes any text unreadable.

The tv is a westinghouse sk26h730s. It's a 26" 720p tv.

I tried moving the xorg file too, but since I am using the nvidia binary blob, and I don't have vesa/nv/noveau built, xorg says it can't find any drivers.

MRD

Ok, didn't realize it was twinview.

You really need to look at the DVI output on the card and check if it is dvi-i or dvi-d. If it is dvi-d, you cannot use that adapter and you will not be able to output to an analog monitor (your TV is acting as an analog monitor if its input is dsub).

MRD

Alternately, try throwing another video card into the pc with a native dsub output (it can be any old cheapie pci card, like an old s3 virge or whatever you have lying around). See if that can work with the monitor. Set the bios to use the agp or pci-e as the first video card.

OP
Shelnutt2

Shelnutt2

Alternately, try throwing another video card into the pc with a native dsub output (it can be any old cheapie pci card, like an old s3 virge or whatever you have lying around). See if that can work with the monitor. Set the bios to use the agp or pci-e as the first video card.

Unfortunately I don't have any other video card to try it with. I know the 7800gt can be used with the dvi to vga adapter because I use to use it with different CRT monitors over the past year(s).

MRD

Check the actual card. You need to check if it's a D or I. Link the exact card if you can and I'll look.