• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using your computer wihtout a monitor over the network....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmigoThree

Ok I saw something on this board of how to do this with a certain program but I completely forgot where I saw it or what the program was called and I can't find it anywhere because I dont know what I am looking for. So what is this program called?

NedClocker

Gnerma said:
VNC really does rule :)

Check it out (4 desktops in 1)

VNCrulez.gif

EDIT - If the image doesn't work right click it and click 'show picture'.

"show picture" didn't work, either.

Does VNC run as slowly for y'all as it does for me?

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Those are the biggest differences, or at least the most noticeable;)

PC Anywhere takes up a lot more hard drive space as well, but it does have a lot more features, such as built-in security protocols, etc.

VNC is usually pretty fast on my network, but I have a strange problem at the office: the pc that holds source code for a bunch of different clients will periodically lock up the VNC screen. Close vnc and start a new session and its fine- for a while.
Strange, and I haven't bothered with looking for answers to it (yet.) It does run slow at work though, on all the machines.

MajinSSJVegetto

The only one thats free though, is VNC.

If anyone has a good free one besides VNC, tell me!
I really need one that goes over the internet, not just a network, if anyone knows of a good free one.

NedClocker

MajinSSJVegetto said:

I really need one that goes over the internet, not just a network, if anyone knows of a good free one.

I thought VNC worked over the internet.

Kendan

Senior Punk
MajinSSJVegetto said:

VNC will work you just have to forward the port if you have a router:D

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
I've used VNC myself...very nice program.

However...is it me (might be another program I installed at or about the same time as..) or does VNC chew up a lot of memory??

Seems like after I installed it, I started getting all kinds of error messages...the "Not Enough Memory...close some apps" ones...

B.

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
MajinSSJVegetto said:

from linux:
ssh -l username hostname

:)

And once you're there,

nohup FAHblah -forceasm -advmethods > nohup.txt &

If using windows and you want to use the above to access a linux box for folding, use Tera Term Pro with the SSH addon. ;)

-- Paul

David

Forums Super Moderator
Also try PuTTY, which I have used to access my PC upstairs runny Linux from my dads Win95 PC downstairs.

David