• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UT2003 Patch is out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Cy said:
Funny the official web site does not list this yet and their forums are still down while they move their servers.

Cy

I checked the official sites and yes there is no mention of this patch what is going on? :eek:

OK, ran it for about two hours and finally got a general protection fault crash, but I am not complaining. Still gameplay is smooth adn I am using beta det drivers so I am asking for crashes every now and then.

Malakai said:

no. using the no_cd patch on a game you own is in no way illegal. neither is copying a game u own for backup purposes, but thats taboo by the mods so we leave it alone.

Hmmm, I just thought I read somewhere that using a nocd patch, even if you own the game, is illegal because you're essentially modifying the code (which is illegal).

Not that I give a damn. I like nocd patches myself on certain titles which sit there for 10+ seconds verifying the cd before it starts up. Really obnoxious. It's like, "I just bought the damn game, so let me play already."

this is matter of opinion, but seriously i think it all depends on values and ethics, i feel if i have bought a legal copy of a software and using some sort of external program which is enhancing my gaming experience than it is not wrong, again its subject to my own opinion.

Wouldn't it be nice if game producers include this "unlock" option by which you can after registering your product get a key which disables a cd check? it would be so nice

Kind of straying off topic here, but think of it this way. We all buy parts for our computers knowing full well what they are intended or specked rather to do.

So the first thing on the agenda after loading the drivers is to tweak, modify, overclock. But hey, we own it right, so we can void our warranty to our hearts content.

I paid more for my copy of UT2003, than I did for my 40-12-48 cd writer that now records at 48x. I think more of the innocent are being punished than the guilty.

Disputant, I'm with you on all points.

I'm still wondering though whether it is legal according to the law or not, to use a nocd patch. I think it is illegal even if you have purchased the software. Again, I don't see anything wrong with it myself, but I don't write the laws.

It's like the M$ EULA terms. I think most people would agree that if you shell out $300 for a copy of XP (or any other Windows version), why should it be a big deal if you put it on say two of your own PC's (like your desktop and laptop). Putting it on 10 is another story, or spreading it around the neighborhood. Those too are also common sense -- clearly wrong.

But the issue here is, right or wrong, it's illegal to install it on two machines. So again, I'm wondering with the nocd thing, it doesn't seem wrong to me, but it could still be illegal.

Well, I installed the new patch and everything still works! :) It does fix quite a few annoying things such as footsteps when walking/running. Performance does seem down compared to before the patch. But I did not crash in about 1 hour of play and the new wildcards for buddies work very well.

Cy

grunjee said:
Disputant, I'm with you on all points.

I'm still wondering though whether it is legal according to the law or not, to use a nocd patch. I think it is illegal even if you have purchased the software. Again, I don't see anything wrong with it myself, but I don't write the laws.

It's like the M$ EULA terms. I think most people would agree that if you shell out $300 for a copy of XP (or any other Windows version), why should it be a big deal if you put it on say two of your own PC's (like your desktop and laptop). Putting it on 10 is another story, or spreading it around the neighborhood. Those too are also common sense -- clearly wrong.

But the issue here is, right or wrong, it's illegal to install it on two machines. So again, I'm wondering with the nocd thing, it doesn't seem wrong to me, but it could still be illegal.

the fact is, that if you paid for anf bought it, you own it, its yours to hack or run over with a car.

if a company ever tried to take you to court over it, they wouldnt have a chance in hell of getting u in legal trouble, EULA or no EULA.

its yours, you own it, you can modify it however you want too.

baqai said:
this is matter of opinion, but seriously i think it all depends on values and ethics, i feel if i have bought a legal copy of a software and using some sort of external program which is enhancing my gaming experience than it is not wrong, again its subject to my own opinion.

Wouldn't it be nice if game producers include this "unlock" option by which you can after registering your product get a key which disables a cd check? it would be so nice

Right with you bro.

Aslong as it is NOT Sold. given away, I paiod fpr it it is mine to with it what I WANT !!

BIG Brother is talking away our rights lill by lill:mad: :mad:

Whats theirs is theirs, and what's mine is there's, ROFLMFAO:beer:

The original UT had the same cd verification at first. Epic eventually removed it in an update patch so maybe they'll do the same thing with UT2003. They already unlocked the preferences menu with the new patch just like in UT.

Just a couple of things I noticed.

You can now control your HUD better and adjust its transparency.

Maximum rocket load is down to 30 from 48.

The wildcard function in the buddy list seems to work fine.

Anyone else notice any other differences?

Back