• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UT2k3 delay when playing online :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maxvla

when i sign onto a server it usually takes 15-30 seconds longer for my computer to enter the match than everyone else.

i am confused. i know 512mb of ram would likely cure this but i'm wondering why everyone else is getting in on time when i have a pretty fast computer. surely there are people playing on slower computers than mine yet they are getting logged in faster.

help? :confused:

i don't want to buy more ram cause i want to convert to rdram whenever possible (maybe christmas).

Disputant

Same here with the system in my sig. When I am joining, the screen is black, but I can hear shooting and taunts. I guess I had assumed that it was my GF card, but it gets as many 3dMarks as the 4400s so I don't know what the deal is.

FIZZ3

It depends a lot on your game settings, Maxvla. I initially left the settings on their (high) defaults just to enjoy the scenery. I suffered from that lag you described too. Anyway, being somewhat frag-greedy I began lowering most visual/detail settings to more moderate (low to normal) values. I also unchecked all that decal and lighting stuff.
That initial connection lag I had is almost gone (I am now sometimes the one seeing others standing still at the start of a new match) and level loading takes much less time.

OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

FIZZ3 said:
It depends a lot on your game settings, Maxvla. I initially left the settings on their (high) defaults just to enjoy the scenery. I suffered from that lag you described too. Anyway, being somewhat frag-greedy I began lowering most visual/detail settings to more moderate (low to normal) values. I also unchecked all that decal and lighting stuff.
That initial connection lag I had is almost gone (I am now sometimes the one seeing others standing still at the start of a new match) and level loading takes much less time.
i'll try that.. i'm in the process of swapping for a TH7II and 512mb rdram which should take care of the problem if your suggestion doesn't.

i do agree that the delay is probably the high graphics levels trying to stuff all those textures into memory when i only have 256mb.

ARGON

Registered
Map loading is HEAVILY CPU intensive.

In addition, you have to read a large file off the HD, cache it, and then render it.

Fast HD with large cache
HIGH FSB
1GB+ CAS2 RAM
Fast CPU

and you should be good to go. Your problem can be fixed with better hardware. Although if you are willing to sacrifice detail, changing some video setting will be much cheaper. :)

OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

ARGON said:
Map loading is HEAVILY CPU intensive.

In addition, you have to read a large file off the HD, cache it, and then render it.

Fast HD with large cache
HIGH FSB
1GB+ CAS2 RAM
Fast CPU

and you should be good to go. Your problem can be fixed with better hardware. Although if you are willing to sacrifice detail, changing some video setting will be much cheaper. :)
i have a maxtor 7200 rpm drive but it doesn't score well on PCMark2002 best it does when on a fresh reinstall is about 900 points.

i have a 1.6a @ 2664mhz (166mhz fsb) 256mb muskin pc3000 ddr @166mhz cas2

i have also tried 157/210 and get the same results. (210 is max ram will do)

FIZZ3

The fast cpu and fast hd story is wrong in this case. I have a 2.67Ghz cpu and a 2x8mb WD ATA133 RAID array.

The RAM story holds more water I think; I too have only 256Mb currently, and I heard of players with slower PC's but more ram loading much quicker.

Disputant

FIZZ3 said:
The fast cpu and fast hd story is wrong in this case. I have a 2.67Ghz cpu and a 2x8mb WD ATA133 RAID array.

The RAM story holds more water I think; I too have only 256Mb currently, and I heard of players with slower PC's but more ram loading much quicker.

Same here, check out the sig for specs. My fsb is running at a pretty high at the moment. HD could be a little faster, but it is still a 7200 rpm IBM with a 2 mb cache.

itizme

Thanks for the info everyone
Going to drop the graphics down myself, but I think in the end I have to wait for :santa: to bring me a sh*t load of new parts to assemble to speed up the cache and render
: )

OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

sure would be nice to have a site that specialized in benchmarking hard drives.

everyone just says to get a 7200 like they are all the same speed when they really aren't. thats how i picked mine out thinking they were all fast. but it seems mines a little under par.

Disputant

Maxvla said:
sure would be nice to have a site that specialized in benchmarking hard drives.

everyone just says to get a 7200 like they are all the same speed when they really aren't. thats how i picked mine out thinking they were all fast. but it seems mines a little under par.

Amen to that, my friends WD drive with the "same" specs as mine, owns mine when benchmarking on a considerably slower system.