• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Utility Geeks folding for team 32???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cluster

I came across a forum called Utility Geeks. They only have 403 members, counting myself :) . I did a search for Folding on their forums and nadda, so i guess they've never heard of them, i posted a kind of recruiting post and gave them the links to stanford and statsman and of course i mentioned for them to fold for team 32.

Here's the thread

Let me know what you think of these guys, they are a small forum but may be growing, they could turn out to be a great ally.

I've also thought of another idea. Search google for clubs, or forums or any kind of groups, and see if we can't get some recruites. try to look for places that aren't already folding, convince them to fold for us. This is what i'm planning on doing anyway. It's an idea if anyone wants to help out.

Cluster said:
I've also thought of another idea. Search google for clubs, or forums or any kind of groups, and see if we can't get some recruites. try to look for places that aren't already folding, convince them to fold for us. This is what i'm planning on doing anyway. It's an idea if anyone wants to help out.

here's my list now:

Whirlpool Forums 9525 Members
Overclockers Forum (Not Us) 963 Members
Utility Geek 403 Members
Overclockers Online 913 Members
TweakTown Forums 914 Members
2CPU.com 6927 Members

Total reached : 19645

Last edited:
Just be carefull and respectfull. It might even be a good idea to pm their moderators first and ask if it would be OK. We do not want to be known as SPAMMERS. I like your enthusiasm. Fold on!!!!

Kendan's right. You need to be a little careful with this.
A couple of things. Some of those sites already have one sort of DC team or another. Some of them have DC forums. Luckily, the ones that have responded so far were very nice about it. Hopefully the trend continues. This doesn't always go over too well. Both Whirlpool and Utility Geeks, from the responses I've seen so far and from the atmosphere of the forum, look like some good places to check out though.

Looks good, Like the others said, Play it safe. Better to bide your time and ease into an invitation than it is to jump in and **** anybody off or make them think we're a bunch of yahoo's. Good job none the less.
It's amazing how much that place resembles this one, damn near the same layout. Kinda strange;)

It looks almost identical...Maybe they are from a parallel universe...Imitation is the sincerest form of flatery...

Maybe their founders viewed Overclockers.com first and then went and started their own site...Maybe it is just random chance...You know the infinite monkeys typing on infinite computers will eventually reproduce the complete works of William Shakespeare.

dude all of their computers are crap...

look at the 3dmark thread.. they are laughable

wont be crunchin many wu's there :p

Ottoman said:
dude all of their computers are crap...

look at the 3dmark thread.. they are laughable

wont be crunchin many wu's there :p

Some WU's are always better than no WU's....;)

I agree...careful and cautious. But definitely worth looking into...:D

Cluster said:

here's my list now:

Whirlpool Forums 9525 Members
Overclockers Forum (Not Us) 963 Members
Utility Geek 403 Members
Overclockers Online 913 Members
TweakTown Forums 914 Members
2CPU.com 6927 Members

Total reached : 19645

Good luck with the whirlpool and tweaktown forums........

Reason being is that most of the potential dc'ers from those are folding for team 24. Both are aussie based forums and both have had various "fold for ocau" threads for months :D

But try if you want to.

Actually when the ocau fourms went down for for a few months last year due to legal troubles, tweaktown forums was one of 2 or 3 temporary homes for the ocau'ers. So about half of the 914 members are ocau'ers. :D so good luck! you will need it

All i'm trying to do is open up the world of Folding@Home to those he may not know. Most of these places and didn't see any reference to Folding through a search of their sites. Mind you they do have other DC projects running, but I have started to spur some interest at Whirlpool (although it's a little tough).

And if these sites don't work out, there's always more, but you guys are right, from now i'll get ahold of a mod before posting a thread, that way if they do have 2-3 DC teams, I won't be wasting my time on a couple of potential folders when i could be fishing in a sea of thousands more fish.

Just keep saying to yourself people.

WE WILL BE NO.1 ONE MORE TIME!!!

I'll just lend a bit of support to the threads :D.

Looks like a really good idea, but we'd better be careful that we dont tread on anyones toes :eek:

A friendly hello is all thats needed, and well done Cluster - it seems to be exactly what is required.

Nice idea. One thing to consider though: AOAForums has site affiliations with a lot of different sites. They may already be folding for AOA. It never hurts to ask first, but I would check their forums affiliations first.

Cheers!

Newbie_Doo said:
Nice idea. One thing to consider though: AOAForums has site affiliations with a lot of different sites. They may already be folding for AOA. It never hurts to ask first, but I would check their forums affiliations first.

Cheers!

I just noticed that ater stopping by AOA. Do any other places do that? And i'm gonna keep it to askin a mod their situation first. Avoid any misunderstandings, but so far so good, i think they may be startin to gain a little interest.

I got my milestone too. I finished a protienA and took 2999th place, now i'm workin on another but have slid down to 3071.

Back