• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Utilizing computer speakers with watching TV and dvds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anvil82

These are the parts I have/will be getting.

Computer with audigy1 sound card
klipsch 4.1
dvd player

I want to setup the klipsch as the speakers to be used with the computer, as well as with the dvd player for watching movies.

So how do I hookup a dvd player to my computer, so when I play dvds I get sound through my speakers (surround sound).

Thanks!!

There's no way I am using computer dvd software to watch movies outputted to my tv, so that suggestion is not an option.

Azzkiller

Get a Stereo to 1/8" stereo plug cable and connect it between the dvd's stereo audio output and the audigy's line input.

DaFonz

Anvil82: It's not.

Your only hope is to use an optical out on your DVD to your optical in on your soundcard (erm... I think the audigy has one? I haven't used creative stuff for ages).

OP
anvil82

anvil82

My only idea left, is to use the analog rca outputs on the dvd player, and connect them to the front and rear connections on the speakers.

Then I will have to swap the speaker connections back and forth from the sound card to the dvd player, depending on what I wish to use the speakers for.

Not the easiest solution, but one I know will definitely work.

I wonder if some type of A/B switch exists.

OP
anvil82

anvil82

corebreach said:
I don't understand. What's to keep you from using digital audio in on the Audigy?

The fact that it doesnt have digital input, unless I had the platinum.

Mr.Guvernment

^^^ audigies dont have S/PDIF last time i checke d most new mobo's do - heck get an ABit BH7 which has fiber optic S/PDIF in and out :D

anyways - have you considered just gettin a decent recevier or amp that you can plug everything into?

OP
anvil82

anvil82

Mr.Guvernment said:
^^^ audigies dont have S/PDIF last time i checke d most new mobo's do - heck get an ABit BH7 which has fiber optic S/PDIF in and out :D

anyways - have you considered just gettin a decent recevier or amp that you can plug everything into?

I have an IC7, but I would have to hook up my klipsch to my onboard outputs when I played my dvd player, because I can't have the sound go into the onboard audio, and come out of my audigy.

Of course I could just buy a reciever, but that's a waste for a self amplified set of klipsch promedias.

OP
anvil82

anvil82

corebreach said:
It at least has some sort of S/PDIF in, probably a CD_DIGITAL header that could be connected to an rca jack.

Would that work?

Does anyone have a diagram or something on how to make a cable to hook it up.

I would MUCH rather use coaxial rather than optical (cable length and durability wise, not to mention cheaper to make, lol).

If there was a way to hookup an rca cable to my audigy somehow, and my audigy could decode the ac3 and output to my klipsch that would be AWESOME.

I dunno if its possible without the audigydrive.

I tried the spdif optical connection on my IC7, but it wouldn't decode the bitstream(ac3), it only worked with the pcm stream, which is only 2 channel (defeats the whole purpose).

OP
anvil82

anvil82

I tried some more options today:

I cut up a rca video cable, and an extra CD_SPDIF cable.

I spliced the cables together, hooked it up to the CD_SPDIF connection on my audigy, set the dvd player to bitstream, and got nothing.

I then tried PCM and got sound, I thought I was golden.

Then I tried a dvd speaker test I downloaded a while back, it plays a sound one at a time to each channel, it worked perfectly in windvd.

I put it in my dvd player, and some channels were fine, but others were far from it.

The right surround(rear) came from my front left as well as right rear, and same for for left surround. It was all mixed up.

I think an idea I may just end up doing is, getting this:

http://www.ati.com/products//hdtvadapter/index.html

and using windvd or something :(

stratcatprowlin

OK let me get this straight.You have a dvd player that you want to watch movies with on your TV but you want the sound coming from your Klipsh promedia speakers.Do your promedia's decode Dolby digital? If they do,You could connect the promedia's directly to the output on the dvd player.You would of course have to keep reconnecting them to use them with the pc.

OP
anvil82

anvil82

stratcatprowlin said:
Do your promedia's decode Dolby digital? If they do,You could connect the promedia's directly to the output on the dvd player.You would of course have to keep reconnecting them to use them with the pc.

Nope, they onlt have two 3.55mm plugs on them, one for rear, one for front.