• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

V-sinc on or off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Azeroth

I see this mentioned in alot of threads but am wondering what people here have it set to. I know that it has to be turned off when benchmarking to not limit the framerate to monitor refresh rate, but what are the pros and cons to enabling it. Will it improve performance in games?

vsync is only used to prevent tearing, which happens when the card is rendering at a higher fps than what the monitor can handle. At some points, a monitor is halfway through rendering a frame when it finds a new frame in the framebuffer, and ends up drawing half of one frame and half of the other. This results in "tearing", when lines don't line up. Try turning vsync off, run an FPS (the game kind), spin around fast in circles, and you'll see what I mean.

vsync doesn't improve performance at all, only image quality. It kills performance in benchmarks since it prevents the card from reaching fps higher than the monitor's refresh rate. In games, though, it doesn't kill visible performance, since the extra frames that are discarded can't be displayed by the monitor anyway.

Since tearing doesn't really bother me, I just keep it off. In some games, though, it's quite noticeable

hmm, Ill have to experiment with it then. In games when i spin around I experience what I thought was lag, but now im thinking it might be tearing.

Back