• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

V2000A Paint Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

Hello, I have had the Thermaltake Xaser 3 V2000A and its GREAT. But, Im getting sick of the red alluminum on the front of this case (because, my nexus has blue LEDs, my cold cathodes are blue, and my Vantec Spectrums are blue). I wanted to paint the front of my case (the disgusting red alluminum). What kind of paint can I use that will last and look great. Can I use regular old spray paint, or a certain kind of paint? Oh, I plan to paint it blue!

DeViL_909

You need to take it off and sand it smooth. From there you can prime it (all this is spray paint by the way). Do not try to cover it all in one try. Do lots of light coats. After you think you covered the entire thing wet sand with 600. After that if there is anywhere you went throught, paint and sand again. After this you can aply you first thin coat of paint. Again you want to do lots of quick thin layers. After about 3 layers, sand with 600 again. Repeat painting and sanding untill you no longer can see primer after sanding with 600 (all of this is done by wet sanding). Now you can sand with 800, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000, then rubbing compound, and then swirl remover. (You will need to rinse the entire case with soap watter between each sanding to prevent grains from the previous sanding from scratching the paint). After you are done, let it sit for about 30 days (that is how long it takes paint to totally cure). Then you can go back and sand more if it is not perfectly smooth, or if it is to your satisfation, you can procede to wax it.

OR.....
You can just spray the sucker with spraypaint if you don't care about a mirror finish. Just make sure to use a good spray paint. I prefer Krylon Fusion for plastics and Duplicolor for metals.

P.S.
Think about trying a different color than blue. Having everything blue has been done too many times. Maybe consider black or even orange. Just a note, Orange and blue are complinentary colors. This meaning that they look the best together. Well that is just my 2 cents. Good luck with the painting and have fun with it. Post some pictures when you are done.

OP
X

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

Thanks for the help, really. I hope to get some pics, but, Im gonna make this one blue, whats cool, is I can interchange them if I want, red or blue, or orange and blue!
I will post some pics when I get done!

OP
X

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

I only want to paint the red alluminum on the front of the case. I might plan to paint the whole case black, which would be AWSOME. If you recommend powder coating, how much do you think it would cost to paint a Full Tower?

OP
X

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

If you could give me what the cost would be, that would be great. Another thing, how did you overclock your AMD 1700 so high? I can only get my 2000+ to 2800+! I think your processor is around either a 3400 or 3600+. How did you get that thing clocked so high.