• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Valuable Power Supply components?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petreza

Hi,

I am just starting to learn the basics of electronics (components and stuff). On some web site I read that you can get a lot of useful stuff from old motherboards, TVs, etc. So I gathered a bunch of stuff that people threw on the garbage and gutted the electronics parts. Now I have three Power Supplys - the old Pentium/Pentium MMX type - and I don't know what is worth desoldering and what I should throw out. Could you help we with that....!

Thank you!

larrymoencurly

I think that everything can be used for something else, except for the heatsinks and transformers, which are usually too custom-fit. I keep the fan and anything that's either expensive or hard to buy, like the connectors, big transistors and diodes, their insulator sheets, thermistors, electrolytic capacitors, and AC-rated high voltage capacitors (lots of writing on them). I also found that if I gut the stuff, it takes up more space than if I had kept everything in one piece.