• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vantec 92mmx38mm Tornado fan worth the noise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

In my case, not hardly.

I tried running it at 5V as a CPU heatsink fan and the CPU idles at 47-48°C, then at 12V the CPU idles at 45°C in a room with a 23°C ambient temperature. Not really an earth-shattering difference IMO.

Sure, it might be helpful if I were right on the edge of being unstable and those few degrees might make or break an overclock, but as tested in my socket A system I'm nowhere near unstable at these temperatures.

At 5V it's practically silent spinning at 2000-2300rpm, at 12V though it's like I've moved an enterprise-level server into my room and spins at 5200-5400rpm.

I thought about wiring up both of my Tornado fans for 12V, but I can't imagine being able to stand the noise, I can barely cope with one let alone two spinning at 5200-5400rpm each. I think I'll just rewire them to both run at 5V unless I see some major difference under load testing.

Your heatsink limited. Like a $40 driveshaft on a 1000 horsepower motor? Fannage can only do so much. Not sure what heatsink you have, maybe see if one of the top ones are in the classies?

You're heatsink limited. Like a $40 driveshaft on a 1000 horsepower motor? Fannage can only do so much. Not sure what heatsink you have, maybe see if one of the top ones are in the classies?

Not really, I'm using one of the best socket A/462/K7 heat sinks ever made. It's a Thermaltake Pipe101, which is as far as I know is one of the only socket A/462/K7 heat sinks ever made with heat pipes.

Remember, I'm running this on a socket A rig, the top performing heat sinks of today are NOT going to fit without serious modifications, and I don't feel like having to modify something to make it fit.

Okay, now I'm somewhat impressed, under load with the fan being supplied with 12V the temperature only got up to 49°C, which is just barely above the 48°C the CPU idles at with 5V.

I must say this heat sink+fan combo is a nice improvement over the stock one with either voltage, as the stock HSF idled at 50-53°C and reached around 60°C under load.

Back