• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vantec Tornado 92x92x38mm @5V???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celemine1Gig

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a Thermalright SLK900 with a 92mm Vantec Tornado fan.

Now, I have got to know, if the 92mm Tornado still starts spinning, when fed with only 5V (nearly quiet mode :D ), because I know how loud it is at 12V (I already have got a 80mm Delta EHE ;)).

So, if it has no problem starting at 5V, I'm gonna go with the Tornado. If it indeed has poblems with such lower voltages, then I'm just gonna pick the Delta instead.

Thx in advance!

Regards

Ingo ;) :)

N

nerdlogic

I don't think it has a problem running at the lower voltages. I think it might have a problem starting from a lower voltage, though.

OP
Celemine1Gig

Celemine1Gig

nerdlogic said:
I don't think it has a problem running at the lower voltages. I think it might have a problem starting from a lower voltage, though.

Couldn't you be so kind and test it for me, as you got a Tornado 92mm in contrast to many others here??? :rolleyes: The mod for 5V isn't too hard either.

Thx in advance!:)

Netcon

Registered
Why buy a Vantec Tornado 92 to run in 5v??? Is it not better to buy a fan with less performance if the noice is to loud.

CrazyP

hmm, well I have a fan controller on mine, a cheap three setting one. I think the high setting is 12V, the middle setting is 7V, and the low setting is 5V. however, on the low setting it doesnt spin at all, it just stops. but honestly, the middle setting is not loud at all, I cant tell a difference between it, and when the fan is off, although it might be all the other fans I have. at the middle setting it runs at 2500 rpm

N

nerdlogic

I have a fan controller too. I believe mine volts it down to 5V. But mine starts the fan at full speed when my rig turns on before bringing it down. I would test to see if it starts at 5V, but I don't know how to get it to start at 5V in the first place.

OP
Celemine1Gig

Celemine1Gig

Hi,

I attached a picture that I got from Viperlair.
Your Tornado should come with such a Molex connector shown in the pic. As you can see, the cables are connected to 12V (the red one) and to ground the black one), which gives 12V to the fan.
If you now move the red cable to the 5V position on the right side of the connector, and leave the black cable where it is, the fan is connected to 5V (with the red cable) and to ground (still with the black cable) , the fan is powered with only 5V! That's all.

BUT, don't try that with the fan still on the heatsink, because if it doesn't start spinning you could fry your CPU. Put another fan on the Heatsink and try the Tornado on its own connector.

Thx in advance!

Regards

Ingo :)

Attachments

• molex.jpg
    molex.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 97
N

nerdlogic

Damn...I modded my tornado to use the 3-pin connector for both monitoring & power...I had to do this to get it hooked up to the multipanel. Does your fan controller start the fan at full speed? It should if it's a good one... Sorry I can't help you with those tests, dude.

CrazyP

all i know with mine is, my low setting will not spin period. if its spinning and i lower it to low, it stops. however, my middlesetting will start from a complete stop, it will run at 2500 rpm. pure bliss when browsing. at high setting i get 4800+rpm. screecher but my speakers drown it out. i would be happy with 7V, thats almost half the voltge

katka

I've got a question. Why would you buy the Tornado if you want a silent fan? I mean you know it's going to be loud, but that's a tradeoff for the high cooling level you get with it. Wouldn't volt modding it to make it run quiter, but by doing so make is perfrom worse defeat the point of getting a Tornado? Why not just get a low noise fan like a Panflow, (is that what there called) witch is silent (or near it) and has pretty good cooling as I understand it?

OP
Celemine1Gig

Celemine1Gig

I would buythe tornado, because at low setting (let's say 5V) it's nearly quiet, but if you turn the voltage up, you got the power that no other fan can give. That's all! With a speed controlled tornado you have the whole pallette from nearly low noise to insane cooling performance!;)
But, as there really seem to be problems when running the tornado at 5V, I'll rather get the Delta, because all my Deltas can run at 5V without a hitch.

Thx though, guys!:)

heavy666

Netcon said:
Why buy a Vantec Tornado 92 to run in 5v??? Is it not better to buy a fan with less performance if the noice is to loud.
I agree, and it would be cheaper too.