• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Venomous X for x299 i9 7900x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brutal-Force

Yea or Nay,

I see that Thermal right offers the http://thermalright.com/product/true-universal-btk-2/ which it claims is compatible with 2066.

a) does anyone have any experience with this bracket upgrade for the Venomous X, True or Ultra or similar cooler?

b) will this be sufficient (for starters) upgrading from i7 4790k with Therm. Venomous X to i9 7900x with the same?

c) should I not be bothered because this won't provide enough cooling? I have used this cooler since 2009 and it might be time to retire it?

I am making pretty extensive purchases and the last thing I need is to throw another 90-120 dollar cooler at it if not necessary.

Examples: Noctua DH15 or EVGA CLC 280 Liquid

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will easily cool it at stock and likely some overclocking. Much past 4.4ghz (all cores and threads) or so, id guess that thing starts to fade. So it depends on your goals with the cpu clocks.

If it says it suppprts s2066, it suppprts it. :)

ED did you include the Stock HSF? Or did you just send the chip? That will help make my decision easier as I can purchase a cooler in a few months after my wallet recovery.

Thanks,

That was my fear. CPU+Mobo+DDR4+HSF . Even with the friends and family plan, Still looking at $900-1200.

The only saving grace is that this should last me another 5 years.

Socket 2011, 2011-3 and 2066 mounting kits are the same and all coolers compatible with 2011/2011-3 should work with 2066.
I've seen you decided on the Noctua cooler and maybe it's a good idea as it should perform better and for 7900X you will need good cooling ... and I mean really good.

Thanks Woomack. Yeah... I ordered the D14S. Although I have never done water cooling, it sounds messy by comparison to Air. The D15 seems to stand up to most AIO water coolers, so I went with that. It should fit easily in my HAF XB, but it is going to dwarf the Micro ATX board.

Back