• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Venomous X Pressure Mount Confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mim3tic

Venomous X Pressure Mount AM3 = Disappointment

Ok I am a little bit peeved here in regards to the mounting options for the New Thermalright Ven-X I am running a Phenom II 965 which means that I have to purchase a separate retention/mounting kit for the Venomous X. See I can live with this, here is where I start to get Angry.

The only compatible kit they sell is the: Thermalright AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 Bolt-Thru Kit - Rev 2
My understanding was that one of the major improvements thermalright made for there Venomous X was it's pressure mounting system. Well the above AM3 kit is the same system Thermalright uses for there ULTRA-120 Trueblack REV.C 6 heatsink. So basically the AM3 mounting system isn't new or improved and lacks the 70 LBS pressure force that the new intel system has. So is it even worth it to but a Venomous X when I can get a TrueBlack for cheaper that also includes the AM3 mounting kit?

Last edited:

muddocktor

Retired
I can't vouch for it on AM3 but I found that the Ven-X and the Rev. C TRUE to be about neck and neck for cooling capacity. The thing that made more difference was the Ven-X mount as compared to the 2 heatsinks. If I were you, I'd save the extra money and go with the TRUE Rev. C and if you want you could use the extra money for some good, quiet running fans or something.

BTW, I tested these head-to-head on the same platform, in the same case and with the same fans. I also tested the Megahalems and an original TRUE too. Unfortunately I ran out of time to do more remounts with the Megahalems and the original TRUE and post the results before I had to leave for the rig.