• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vertical Display Graphics Card bracket recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
My server board-to-desktop project is not quite complete, so

I'm in the market for a vertical Display Graphics Card bracket. and am looking for recommendations. The board on has 8X slots so I'm using a PCI Express 8X Male to PCI-E 16X Female

Riser Mining Cable
for the present GPU. Hope to upgrade to a better on later(when prices fall) for GPU folding.

As you can see, I really need a better solution:

vid1.jpg

Here's where I'm envisioning the vertical bracket will have to be installed (guess I'll be breaking out the dremel):

vid2.jpg

Instead of cutting out the back of the case, perhaps I could use a GPU holder bracket like this one.

Would be an easier install, one of the product raters mentioned just snipping out the sheet-metal between the horizontal PCI slots.

I don't have any other add-on cards going into this case, so that would be acceptable.

Last edited:
Exactly what I have in my case. And yes you will just have to cut out the brackets slightly. ca389f777a4c5bbe7f9e1f62b15d1a4b.jpg 62d48ebdec8e073183889280998281d5.jpg

I don’t have a pic with them cut out but you can see how much needs cutting

Forgive my ignorance with this server board but it's spec'd as an E-ATX board. Do the PCI slots not conform to normal ATX locations? Is the case not an ATX compatible case? I guess I'm just wondering why it's not lining up as is.

@Alaric, Thanks for the mnpctech link, that gives me more food-for-thought. I had seen those mnpctech stage 1 & stage 2 brackets around, but was unsure how they worked. The state 2 bracket looks more versatile, and has me thinking about alternative mounting, which would help minimize cutting up this case.

Forgive my ignorance with this server board but it's spec'd as an E-ATX board. Do the PCI slots not conform to normal ATX locations? Is the case not an ATX compatible case? I guess I'm just wondering why it's not lining up as is.

The PCI slots do line up with the case, it's just that my X16 video card won't fit in the X8 slots.

PCI-slots.png

I could cut out the rear of the slot, but I am uncertain of whether that will work(Read: "chicken"). :eek:

Last edited:
OK, that makes a lot of sense then. LOL FWIW you can cut the slot in the Motherboard and the GPU will automatically drop to an x8 mode, however doing this runs the risk of damaging your precious Board. You are much safer going the route you are with the vertical mounting brackets.

Looking forward to glorious case mod pics.

:salute:

The motherboard's Matrox G200eW on-board video is pretty flat, would struggle with Quake II. But the 8500GT I have stuff in there is not exactly a powerhouse either.

Too bad GPU prices are so high, I'd like to put 'something' in that slot that got more than a couple CUDA cores.

...still weighing the Cooler Master Vertical Display Graphics Card Holder Kit against the mnpctech products.

In looking closer at the CoolerMaster unit, it might not be suitable as I will need to dis-attach th 16X Riser that comes with it, and use my 8X Male to PCI-E 16X Female Riser cable. The CM riser cable doesn't appear to have a male end plugged into a female slot, on the vertical bracket. Product Detail.

I realized that several pcie x8 cards were available that could be had for what it was going to cost me for a vertically mount bracket.

With prices on upscale video cards being so high, I just picked up a PNY GeForce GT 710 in the x8 flavor, and put it in the stock slot.

...maybe when prices(if they ever?) come back down to...normal...I would then pursue a vertical mount in this rig. Wish I hadn't sold off my gtx970, or at least had no procrastinated on getting a replacement...:shrug:

Back