• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

very old pc -- can it still fight??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nobluo

this is the pc i currently run over my dsl account

compaq presario
233mhz amd-k6 mmx
2mb video memory (64bit pci)
4GB HDD
win 98SE

is there anything at all i can do to squeeze out some speed from it? im getting a much better computer and want to use my old 'puter for my learning purposes as i remove and put the hardware back in. never done it before so im using it to educate myself. can it perform better than what it is now? even SLIGHTLY better/faster?

rippedsocks

whoops... depending on your bios you could play with the frontside buss a little to get more mhz... (multiplyer x frontsidebus=frequency) so the more u change the higher mhz u get

OP
N

nobluo

wow. thanks for that. i read that and am very happy to know that i can still breath life into it. i also think that im going to spend some money on basic parts and try to put a computer together. how do i search for this information. i searched and couldnt find it on this forum. i must be doing something wrong!!
:eek:

that was a big help though. thank you.

repo man11

Where to begin.... I guess your first decision would be a budget for parts. Case, memory, power supply, sound and video cards, it adds up pretty fast. You'll need to decide what is important to you. If you really like to play games, then an expensive video card will be part of your budget. If games aren't a priority, a basic model will do. The same goes for sound, many motherboards have built in sound that works fine, but can usually be improved by the use of a dedicated sound card. Some of the best prices to be found are at www.newegg.com . A great place to buy computer parts, I've never had reason to regret buying from them. As far as your search goes, maybe you were being too general. There is a wealth of information here, just look around and take your time to take it all in.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
look at the mobo closer. look for multi and fsb jumpers. i doubt the bios will have these.
at best if your board will allow some ocing.some will at that speed best you will get will be around extra 100mhz.not bad and is a cheap ,fun,safe way to learn.can start on some basic cooling methods also. i have 3 backups that are always on the chopping block here.keep a old pc around.for nothing else its always got good parts when needed.wires,psu,bolts you get the pic.

btw check out the beginers guides on the front page of oc.com tells you alot about how to oc and what not too do. good luck!

OP
N

nobluo

wow. my memory is running at 200% over!! geez..!!... lucky im getting a new computer. oh yeah.....BTW.....

MOB = compaq 408h
chipset = intel corporation 82437VX 430VX system controller
system bios = compaq 6.00
front side bus speed = 1x66Mhz (66Mhz data rate)
memry installed = 48mb SDRAM
memory bus speed = 1x66MhZ

smudged

wow..I thought i started with an old system. You just blew me out of the water! I think you can't go wrong with a pc to muck around with. Do all your experimenting with what you got then you will not kill your nice new rig.

Good Luck and keep us posted!!!!

OP
N

nobluo

definately will [smudged] my first experiment. i always believe that greatness requires sacrifice. if i can be good at it.......i'll settle
ill keep u all posted

FunkDaMonkMan

smudged said:
wow..I thought i started with an old system. You just blew me out of the water!

rippedsocks said:
no that computer sux and is not worth the effort

woa now! ... let'z be nice... we all started somewhere.

don't worry nobluo, you'll soon become as addicted as the rest of us.:D

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
hey if u look my back up is only a 200mmx i cant oc. its on cable modom and work rather well. id call it "zippy" lol online it does the job.but ill tell ya your not sweaten so much when ya oc a old rig as you do when its brand spanken new high doller stuff. sometimes its a nice change :)

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
smudged said:
wow..I thought i started with an old system...

If you're talking about that T-Bird 900MHz... then I started on a 486 DX-4 75MHz, which was a 486SX before the upgrade chip came along. Many forum users started on computers even slower than this, too. Why, that computer was only bought in 1992....

OP
N

nobluo

don't worry nobluo, you'll soon become as addicted as the rest of us.
thanks. i have faith. im actually working on getting some programs (sisoft sandra, mbm) that will tell me at least what i have. then im going to try and update the bios ( i think. i have to read more before i do that) and then i guess its a matter of time before i actually do something.

meanwhile im working on seleting great parts for my new computer as we speak. shold be in second week of november.

anyway, those who have faith...............and information i can use..................thanks. im already reading threads from the archives. everyone else.......... :rolleyes:

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
the education you can get here. and what you self learn by trying and doing is way more valuable than anything i could learn at any collage or tech school.

honestly i cant hardly stand to go into a computer store anymore.its not that im arrogant mabey i do have little patience.but young pimply kid asking me can he "help me" makes me chuckle. ty oc.com! and the forum members!

smudged

Many forum users started on computers even slower than this, too. Why, that computer was only bought in 1992....

I s'pose it is all linked to when you first got into the general PC scene and when you bought your first set up. There was no way I could have got a PC before I was finacially independant, there was no money for such an expensive piece of kit when I was growing up.

The T-bird was an upgrade from a 600MHz slotA Athlon which I got upto about 660MHz. I think I would have started out O/cing earlier had I the chance.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers! No slight intended!

tbirdkiri

rippedsocks said:
whoops... depending on your bios you could play with the frontside buss a little to get more mhz... (multiplyer x frontsidebus=frequency) so the more u change the higher mhz u get

haha i guess youve never used jumpers before... newb...