• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vga silencer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chubchubcullen

I have a AIW9600XT and I wanted to swap out the rinky dink stock sink with a vga silencer rev 3 but I've read a few bad reviews on newegg about them not cooling well enough and killing cards. I was just wondering if anyone knows if its just a few lemons out there that are doing this or if anyone has had bad experiences with the silencer. Also, has anyone been able to fit anything other than this cooler on their aiw card?

ColdFusion

Registered
The vga silencer will cool your card fine. I use one as well, and it keeps my x800gt under 60C at 600 MHz core, and I'm in a pretty hot room. The people who wrote about how poorly it performs probably had unrealistic expectations from the start, and the ones who killed the cards almost certainly were the ones to blame for the death of the card themselves. It is possible to crush the core with this cooler as it does not use the push pin attaching mechanism. You have to screw the back bracket into the heatsink and tighten it until you think that it is tight enough. Most people probably tightened it a little too much.

JCLW

Mine cools fine, but has gotten significantly noisier in the last 10 months. I'd suggest looking at the Zalman as well.

rseven

I am not impressed with the Silencers. I second the Zalman and then use a PCI slot fan get the hot air out of the case.