• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VGA to HDMI problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mendax

Registered
Hello,
I have small older mini PC here, which I wouldn't normally use, but I wanted to give a project a try, and figured that before I start buying hardware for it, I'd give it a run on that computer to see if it's feasible at all. So I've put the mini PC on my table, but it only has VGA card in it, so I got VGA to HDMI cable, connected everything, turn the PC on, seems to be working, but there's nothing on the screen. PC somehow reacts to the keyboard and mouse clicks, but monitor doesn't detect anything... Monitor is 4k Samsung from about 2 years ago, PC is MSI Wind Nettop 120, the cable I bought is a simple VGA + audio to HDMI, nothing special.
Any idea what the problem could be? I am lost here, only guessing there's some problem between the output resolution and 4k res of the monitor, but that's just a guess, and I wouldn't know what to do about it anyway.
Any help greatly appreciated!

Does vga output 4k? It should just downsize to 1080p, but... maybe that's it?
I honestly have no idea. The last time I saw the PC running it was connected to an older 19" monitor. But since the PC is old, I suspect it would not be capable of putting out 4k resolution picture. But I would expect the monitor to display whatever it gets lower than 4k anyway, or is that not the case?

Back