• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Via Cyrix 3 processors on socket 370 board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
Will the Via CyrixIII processors work on regular celeron/PIII boards? Additionally, how does their performance compare to a celeron?

It will work but it will be a little slow. The floating point is whats really lacking on the via chip. I always wanted to try one of these chips just to see if it would overclock well. Get a coppermine celeron if you can find one. Actually if your up for a bit of modding I'll help you hack up a tualeron celern to work on a 370 board. I wanted to do this on my celeron system but I just got rid of it. We can get together and pelt cool it or mod a mini fridge if you ever found one. By the way if you do find a fridge we will have some serious fun!

i'm with bender on this one
The C3 will do OFFICE only (and slow at that)
your best best is a Celeron.
Cheap, Easy and relativly Fast

Cool Ben! I've got an old 566 celeron in your old board right now. You think I could put an air-cooled peltier on that without the entire thing sounding like a jet engine? And what wattage would I need? I doubt I could get 1.13GHz out of it, but it's worth a shot!

Actually, about the cyrix.... they don't require active cooling... I was fantasizing about a silent system.... You know... no active cooling, flash memory instead of CD-ROMs, Divx instead of DVDs, one of those new solid-state hard drives. I know, I know... I could never afford one of them... but WOW.... The keyboard would be BY FAR the loudest part! And sometimes, the mouse would be the loudest!!!!

Uh, oh.... I'm probably giving some people ideas.....

P.S. My Athlon XP is languishing in the heat... Must... get... water....
Ben,
Whenever you get the waterblock done, I'll bring over the rest of my watercooling setup and I'll see if you approve.

Sounds like the 566 needs to be peltierized! A 72-80 watt peltier will be good enough. Any oversized heatsink with an 80mm fan will keep it cool and quiet. I'll see if I can start making a waterblock sooon. I ordered a second mounting kit from dangerden we can use with it to.

Back