• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Via problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n00bular

Hi, my friend has a computer that has some weird problems.

First of all, his motherboard is based on a via chipset. He has a p4 2.66ghz northy and 512mb samsung pc2700. The problem is that it reboots randomly. I checked his temps and its ~45 C idle. I think this is an innaccurate temp reading b/c I reseated his heatsink and put some as3 on it.

When I run prime95 it gives an error saying that theres soemthing wrong with memory, processor, or psu. I tested the memory and with memtest and it passed. The bizzare thing with this mobo is that theres a molex connecter on the motherboard in addition to the atx connector AND the 4 pin block connector.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I was thinking that he needs a new motherboard.... but I'm not so sure after running prime95.

theflyingrat

Well, that's all no good, now, is it! You were correct to check it with Prime95 first. It seems as if one of the components you have isn't able to be driven to its stock specifications. 45C idle could very well be the correct temp - he may have an unusually warped IHS on the P4, or a heatsink without a perfectly flat bottom, or poor case ventilation. I've seen way over that with my 2.4b (overclocked, of course), so that shouldn't come as a surprise. Either way, 45C would not make a P4 flake out like that.

So let's look through our components and how we should troubleshoot each one:
Pentium 4 - very, very low likelihood of this being your culprit. That would be the first I've heard of one flaking out like that without being tortured with extreme clock speeds and voltages.
memory - very likely this is your culprit. Check in BIOS and slow it down to PC2100 speeds. If it seems to be okay, it's likely you have a poorly-made stick of RAM.
Motherboard - somewhat likely. The best way to test this is to swap the memory, and test it again with no PCI cards installed. A buddy of mine actually had an old Gigabyte board that flaked out on memory tests. Swap the memory, same thing. I just wouldn't run right. RMA motherboard, end of problem.

Good luck with the troubleshooting!

Arathorn

Registered
May I guess, Soyo p4x400..

Sounds like the crap I went through, although I never tested with prime95..

But I don't really care now, just replaced it with an IC7. :)

OP
n00bular

n00bular

Yeah you may be right arathorn, I do recall seeing some sort of p4x4something upon POST. However I don't remember exactly. Do you think I should recommend my friend replace his mobo?

Arathorn

Registered
Yes as long as he's willing to spend the $$$ for one..

Every problem I had before I traced back to that VIA chipset in it..and thus decided to never buy anything with a VIA chipset hehe.

I'd wait for more opinions from others here first though.

ArA