• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Via Vt82c694t

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Doc_Skurlock

hey guys, I'm just curious, I have this motherboard laying around, I ordered a P3 Tualatian for it. Is this mobo any good at all? Also, I'm a bit curious about this long black PCI looking slot under the PCI slots. See picture posted. I did a bit of research and I know I bought the right cpu for it. Just need a bit of info on the motherboard itself. It's SDRAM, with 3 DIMM slots, 4 pci and 1 AGP, 4x. Thanks for the help guys. Its on the left hand side, sorry for the blurryness, its a pos webcam and I don't use it.

larva

Inactive Moderator
Via Apollo Pro 133a

That is a Via Apollo Pro 133a motherboard. The "black PCI slot" is an ISA expansion slot, unrelated to PCI entirely. They where the standard of the industry for 15 years.

694 chipsets where pretty ordinary, having low memory thoughput compared to i815 or (especially) the i440BX chipset. They are intended for 133fsb however, so a lot where sold (133 is bigger than 100, so it's got to be better ;)). Nowdays such factors don't matter so much though, and you will probably find the resultant system fine. 694 chipsets utilize PC133 SDRAM, virtually free these days. I still use these boards occasionally for uprgrade and repair of older machines, especially if the ISA slot and PC133 SDRAM support is needed. They are typically inexpensive and work well enough, having been refined by many revisions. I wouldn't put a ton on money into a cpu for one, but on the other hand if I had one laying about I would assemble it if the parts didn't cost me too much.

OP
Doc_Skurlock

Doc_Skurlock

hey thanks, I don't intend on putting much into, just enough to have a spare comp laying around for my purposes. I have a videocard that I can use, the only thing I need to get is a harddrive and that is relatively inexpensive, cause I'm not looking for anything major. I appreciate your help and you really gave me a lot of good info. Thanks!

Doc