• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vid card for $75-$150 budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, after much searching, I found this webpage (see link). It would appear the 4X agp vid cards are backwards compatible in older 2X slots, but the older 2X agp vid cards will not work in the newer 4X slots. The newer 4X cards have a second 1.5v "key" (notch) that can be seen in the pic (see link). An older card will not fit into a newer slot. Can anyone confirm this?

http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/agpcompatibility.html

I vaguely remember reading about the 1.5 vs the 3 volt problem. The article u link to seems to suggest that the way the card is keyed prevents you from putting in the wrong card.

Look bro. U HAVE to look up the specific board he has and then contact tech support to be sure.

Here are some experiences I had:

Gigabyte BX board: would not run any TNT ,GF1 ,2 or 3 due to insufficient wattage.
Soyo pentium 3 board: Ran GF2 and GF4 cards no problem.

ASUS BX board: ran GF2 no problem

Dell BX board ran GF2 with no problem.

BX boards are all AGP 1x which might choke the card slightly but it will run. AGP 2x Board like my Soyo VIA APPOLLO PRO ran ok. The 4X VIA APPOLO PRO+ ran a bit faster with the GF4.

AGP1X didnt reallly affect my rig that much.....but yes, you have to find out about specific boards, i know my dad's tyan has run anything from RivaTNT to RageFury PRo and Geforce2 Pro....but Samoyed the BX has AGP 1.0 standard and 2X Agp, not 1X....

I'm using Asus P2B-S mobo with BX chipset. Yup... 1X AGP

CPU: P-III 500, 256mb ram
Vid card: ATI all in wonder pro 8mb AGP2X
3dfx card: Diamond Monster 3d II 12mb special edition

Which vid card would give me the most performance for the buck?

What about TNT32 or GF2 MX400 64mb?

/me impatiently waiting for the "next big purchase" sometime next month... or 2003...

CSU:

In order of price and performance

Forget the TnT

gf2 mx400 $38
GF2 GTS $48
GF3 TI 200 $69

Samoyed said:
CSU:

In order of price and performance

Forget the TnT

gf2 mx400 $38
GF2 GTS $48
GF3 TI 200 $69

Yeah... I'll probably get one of these if the hardwares I want are delayed in holiday season.

I think GF3 is a bit of an overkill for my system though.

stuff I want for the holiday:

CPU: Intel 2.4B
Mobo: Asus using Granite Bay's chipset
Ram: 2 x 512mb pc2100 on dual channel DDR

Vid card option 1: Radeon 9700 pro (very hesitant here due to endless problems people are experiencing on rage3d forums)
Vid card option 2: NV30 (I want! I want!)

Sound card: maybe use on board sound

Hard drive: Western Digital 120gb 8mb cache (no brainer)

Back