• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video card for the top 20

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I've not been folding for years :( but I have need for a good video card for video editing, sooo naturally I want that video card to get back into the top 20. :clap:

My budget is "flexible", meaning that I can be persuaded to spend more than I should. :rofl:

Suggestions?

Seems like the 3080 will get you there, but I think you should wait until the 3070 release to see if it can get you those points at $200 less than the 3080.

I'm impatiently waiting for the 3080 myself for Flight Sim 2020, but the folding power will certainly be a nice bonus.

I am looking at an RTX 2070 , way more than I've ever paid for a video card, but at $499 is very tempting. I can go with this card without having to hide the credit card statement from the wife. May not get me the top 20, but would be better than "0" ppd. ;)

When I get a EVGA RTX 3080, I will retire 2 of my GTX 1080 cards, 1 will go in my gaming PC and the other will go in 1 of my servers :)
I figure a 3080 can get about 3-4 mil ppd to the 1.5-2 mil the 1080's putout.

I've had a chance to sleep on the matter, and have done further reading on video card performance in video editing, and I'm looking closely at the RTX 2060 SUPER. The RTX 2060 super might not get me a position in the top 20, but surely would give a decent showing in ppd, for just a single midrange card folding.

I am looking at an RTX 2070 , way more than I've ever paid for a video card, but at $499 is very tempting. I can go with this card without having to hide the credit card statement from the wife. May not get me the top 20, but would be better than "0" ppd. ;)

The RTX 3070 is supposed to retail for the same price as that RTX 2070 Super, but it is supposed to perform at the level of an RTX 2080 Ti. I know it's hard, but now is not the time to buy a 2070 Super.

Oops, missed your last post. With the gains of the 3000 series over the 2000 series I would do all I could to wait a month or two to buy.
If you want to go 2000 series you still want to wait until the 3000's are more available and take advantage of the used cards that will be coming to market.

Last edited:
Like JLK says...
Wait on the 3K series Tim..You'll be glad you did.

If I get one or two I'll have 1 or 2 RTX 2060's available. How long can you wait?

The RTX 3070 is supposed to retail for the same price as that RTX 2070 Super, but it is supposed to perform at the level of an RTX 2080 Ti. I know it's hard, but now is not the time to buy a 2070 Super.

Oops, missed your last post. With the gains of the 3000 series over the 2000 series I would do all I could to wait a month or two to buy.
If you want to go 2000 series you still want to wait until the 3000's are more available and take advantage of the used cards that will be coming to market.

Like JLK says...
Wait on the 3K series Tim..You'll be glad you did.

If I get one or two I'll have 1 or 2 RTX 2060's available. How long can you wait?

With what you guys have mentioned- I can wait! ;)

The video editing is going to take a while for me to master, in the mean time my business partner bought a Canon EOS M50 which will capture better quality from the git go, making editing not as necessary. We still want to do green screen, so a decent video card will [hopefully] expedite that process. And yea, a decent video card can pull me down some f@h points, something I still have a need for, in my blood. ;)

I agree with the others. The 2000 series is priced way to high based on the performance gains from the 3000 series. The only issue with the 3000 series is getting your hands on one at retail costs.

As mentioned, this is one of the rare times the computer parts buying axiom doesn't apply. The 3k series is such an improvement in PPD/watts it doesn't make any sense to not avail yourself of it unless the afforementioned business use case is very time sensitive.

Back