• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video card prices are plummeting (except for the 1000 series) Should I hold out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You quoted where he bought it from. ;)

No matter, we still dont know which one!

Last edited:
It was $679
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487245

btw, back in 2008ish I bought an evga gtx 260 video card. It had a lifetime warranty. In 2014 (6+ years after I bought it) it started causing errors, so EVGA replaced it free of charge. I didn't even have to pay shipping. The coolest thing is: they didn't replace my gtx 260 with another gtx 260. They replaced it with a GTX 660ti, which was a huge upgrade to what at the time was a very good graphics card. I've always been a fan of EVGA, but after that awesome customer service experience I go out of my way to buy that brand when possible.

Another side note... you may not have heard, but some of the 1070 and 1080 manufacturers have been getting busted for faking their clock speeds. Obviously that's super sketchy. I know I sound like a fanboy by this point, but EVGA has a very good reputation and they don't pull that kind of shenanigans. Apparently, they bench test each and every card before it leaves the factory. 1080 FTW cards have a guaranteed clock speed of 1721(or higher). Interestingly, a batch of the EVGA 1080 FTW cards didn't meet the specifications or something, so they created a new SKU for them and guaranteed them at a lower clock speed (1607) rather than mislead their customers. That was a stand-up move imo.

Here's a forum post about it: http://forums.evga.com/1080-FTW-DT-m2506026.aspx

and the EVGA explanation:

With EVGA, What You See is What You Get

EVGA was one of the first graphics card companies to offer overclocked graphics cards, and since day one EVGA always delivered the exact same products to reviewers as well as customers. EVGA does not “fake” reviews or send out products with “tweaked” clockspeeds to reviewers. With EVGA Superclocked, FTW and Classified graphics cards, what you see is what you get.

All SC and FTW cards are strenuously tested in order to ensure they can meet the advertised frequency. Not all cards can, but in a lot of cases, they can still overclock fine or even great, because we also test base frequency under certain intense situations, even though under boost clock scenarios it may overclock really high or perhaps even to the same level as standard FTW. In other scenarios they may have been on the absolute edge of meeting it.

The FTW still has the benefits of RGB lighting, 10 power phases, dual BIOS, etc. And of course, it is also at a lower price than the standard FTW part.

Again, that's a very legit move, and it's the reason I'm loyal to EVGA. While other companies are advertising fake clock speeds, EVGA actually under-presents their clocks with lower guaranteed speeds than customers are actually receiving in many cases. Plus they have the 3-year warranty!:salute:

Last edited:
+1 I have had to RMA EVGA that did not work at the rated overclocked speed and they did not give me any trouble, plus I like the 3 year warranty EVGA is great.

Again, that's a very legit move, and it's the reason I'm loyal to EVGA. While other companies are advertising fake clock speeds, EVGA actually under-presents their clocks with lower guaranteed speeds than customers are actually receiving in many cases.
MSI and ASUS customers are still getting what they paid for. The difference is that instead of using the gaming profile, they are using the OC profile/BIOS. Its the best stock performance. I don't agree with it either, we should be reviewing a product as you get it in your hands...but, a lot of people made way more out of the issue than needed to be. EVERY SINGLE PERSON that buys those cards would reach those clocks by just using the OC profile (or flashing to the now available BIOSs). For the record, the difference between these profiles are so small that you barely get a 1% gain. Look at the 1070 I reviewed.. its 20 MHz on the core (of 1600 base)!!!!!

MSI and ASUS customers are still getting what they paid for. The difference is that instead of using the gaming profile, they are using the OC profile/BIOS. Its the best stock performance. I don't agree with it either, we should be reviewing a product as you get it in your hands...but, a lot of people made way more out of the issue than needed to be. EVERY SINGLE PERSON that buys those cards would reach those clocks by just using the OC profile (or flashing to the now available BIOSs). For the record, the difference between these profiles are so small that you barely get a 1% gain. Look at the 1070 I reviewed.. its 20 MHz on the core (of 1600 base)!!!!!
Why do they use gaming profile or overclock profile is it just a gimmick?

Its not a gimmick, no. There are three modes... Silent, Gaming, and OC. IN the case of the 1070, there was a 20 MHz difference between Gaming mode and OC mode which yielded to ~1% difference across our tests. Now, the 1080 is different, it shows a clockspeed difference of 38 Mhz which will yield a bit more performance. So it varies. The difference between silent and OC Mode is likely a few percent.

The point of the app is for novices to get more out of their GPU.. one button/touch overclocking.

The 1060 is similar, it has a 25MHz difference. Nets about 1% difference, like the 1070.

Its not a gimmick, no. There are three modes... Silent, Gaming, and OC. IN the case of the 1070, there was a 20 MHz difference between Gaming mode and OC mode which yielded to ~1% difference across our tests. Now, the 1080 is different, it shows a clockspeed difference of 38 Mhz which will yield a bit more performance. So it varies. The difference between silent and OC Mode is likely a few percent.

The point of the app is for novices to get more out of their GPU.. one button/touch overclocking.

Does GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 G 1 have a Bios update so you don't have to use the OC software.

This did not affect Gigabyte cards. Only ASUS and MSI. At least, only ASUS and MSI shipped their cards with the higher/highest settings which is what caused 'all of this' and the OC BIOS to be available.

To answer the question directly, no... I doubt it (see why above). But you can check and report back. :)

I just watch prices dropping in the UK online shops, with the pound weak as hell, I am about to pull the trigger on a 980 ti SC...

This did not affect Gigabyte cards. Only ASUS and MSI. At least, only ASUS and MSI shipped their cards with the higher/highest settings which is what caused 'all of this' and the OC BIOS to be available.

To answer the question directly, no... I doubt it (see why above). But you can check and report back. :)
I could not find a Bios update for overclocking the Gigabyte GTX 1070 however I did find you have to use the software to reach the highest overclock.
1070 G1 GAMING has default clock frequencies of 1784 MHz (boost) / 1594 MHz (base) with a reference clocked 8192 MB GDDR5 / 8008 MHz effective data-rate on the memory. With the help of XTREME ENGINE software by pressing a button the card will go into OC mode and gets a 26 MHz overclock. That OC mode requires you to have the software active at all times, hence we will not use it. We test the graphics card at its default out of the box and thus BIOS settings. Let's head on-wards in the review. http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1070-g1-gaming-review,1.html

Last edited:

Thanks for explaining this. I was a little confused as to what exactly had happened.

So basically MSI and ASUS shipped cards to testers that had a special BIOS which defaulted to OC mode. Customers' cards defaulted to gaming mode. This caused an out-of-the-box difference of 26 MHz (1.5%) .... but after tweaking the settings with software, the customer cards became identical to the testers' cards right? That's not really a big deal, but in the words of Reddit, "Having a process in place at all to create a deviation from retail cards on press hardware is questionable." Personally, I want testers to be using products that are identical to consumer products in each and every way. Otherwise what's the point?

Did you guys at overclockers get one of the rigged cards? That would be kind of cool to have!

Wasn't there another separate issue regarding companies intentionally over-stating the clock speeds of their 1080's by a few MHz also?

Last edited:
Back