• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card Stability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lesdawg

I've been having some issues with my display. First off, here are my specs:

CPU: i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1 Ghz
MOBO: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 (LGA 1155)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4 GB)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1 GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
POWER: OCZ ZT Series 650 W

Here goes:

I've been having problems with the stability of my display. For example, if I get on a web browser I have to wait for anything graphics related (advertisements) to load before scrolling, otherwise my display freezes and goes into a series of flickering between a dark black screen and a lighter black screen (if that makes any sense). Sometimes it'll go to BSOD with atimpag.sys error, but that seldom happens, it just stays on the black screen and I have to reset my pc. This happens also when I'm scrolling through a large excel file or messing around with the windows (resizing manually so I can see them at the same time).

Also, whenever I boot up a game (borderlands, skyrim, l4d2, etc.) it does the same thing. It locks up and I have to "ctrl+alt+del" several times before it finally stabilizes and I'm able to play (and it runs perfectly while gaming, no crashes or freezes..its only in the start up). If I dont do this 'trick' it freezes and eventually BSOD or stays on the black screen.

During these freezes sometimes the pc will just go back to the desktop and I receive "AMD display driver stopped responding and recovered successfully recovered" and the lower right of the task bar

NOTE: When I first built my PC in May, I bought it to play Diablo III and it worked fine...somewhat. The issue only arose when I would boot up D3, but once I "ctrl+alt+del" out of it and booted D3 again it did so smoothly. My display was stable when I would browse the web i.e. I could scroll freely and watch any video without my display going haywire (except Internet Explorer, it would BSOD on ie, but not at all on Google Chrome). I was at my gf's house this past summer when it stormed. When I got home I noticed my PC was completely off and my clock was blinking (my house lost power during the storm). When I proceeded to turn on my PC, it went through this 15 minute recovery process and started up, but THAT was when these issues just got really worse.

My temps are good. My video card idles around 40 C and goes to around 72 C on max load when playing games. I'm starting to believe if its my voltages, at idle it is at 0.95 V and when gaming 1.15 V (seems that whenever I'm gaming is when the card is most stable, except for the start up of course)

I feel like I've done everything I'm capable of doing, numerous google searches, etc but to no avail. I've formatted and re-installed windows 7 several times, flashed my bios, tested my components, updated drivers.

I feel the only thing I haven't tried is using a different video card because I don't have access to another one.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks yall!

How long have you had the card ?

You could set the volts in msi AB see if that helps

Last edited:
edit my post was at work on my cell

but what drivers are you using

edit my post was at work on my cell

but what drivers are you using

I downloaded them from amd: Catalyst Software Suite with .NET 4 support version 12.10 (that were released 10/22/12) and hydravision 12.10. I don't know the actual driver since I'm not at my pc right now.

Note: My WEI desktop and gaming graphics was a 1.0 (which I didn't understand since I have a 6850) BUT after I installed hydravision they both went up to around mid 7s, thought my issues would be over but they're still there.

EDIT: Looked up the driver version under device manager and its ver 9.2.0.0

Last edited:
Maybe try and older driver? I have an old 5850 and the I have all kinds of problems with the newer drivers. I haven't been able to use anything past 12.3

Back