• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video cards and Doom 3...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The_Ryz_Factor

Hey all I know this might belong in the games section but I thought I'd put it here cause it still applies here as well. With all this hype about Doom 3 and how it gets what I think as bad framerates on even the top video cards out right now, I'm having my doubts about how popular this game will really be. But it IS still in beta, am I right? So they will still tweak things I'm sure... but if it were to stay like this, how many people would actually buy a game that needs an absolutely phenomenal, extreme system to be able to run it totally smoothly?

OP
The_Ryz_Factor

The_Ryz_Factor

Or maybe I'm wrong from reading the other thread that is a similar topic as this one. Ignore me and my comments completely. Thx. :D

opakduwabys

Registered
Just to tell you this, like I said in the other thread the game doesnt come out till Q4 2k3....a year away = 2x+ more powerful gear.

Cisco Kid

BAH bottom line is a game is not going to be released that will only play well with the absolute best video cards out. The majority of pc users have low to mid range graphics products.

A small percentage of pc users have the high end graphics solutions which would be descrivbed say as Ticards such as the Ti4400 and up and prior to the Ti series release the R8500 cards.

On top of that pc games have been slowly dwindling in the number of new releases/year almost to the point that they can be counted on ones 2 hands. There are alternatives now availble to pc gaming rigs that are less costly and provide great general functionality. PS2/Xbox and whatever else.....

The money in the graphicas arena is made in the low to mid end consumer price/product range. These future games will run will run on these lower end graphics card solutions however they may not run optimally but they will be playable for the masses that purchase that do not have the $350 + US to blow on the latest and greatest.

This is my take on the whole issue of new games coming out that will not run on a G3 card. Geez everyone said Unreal 2003 would not run well and the majority of users find it to be fine, maybe not with all eye candy settings cranked but definitely playable.

I expect Doom3 as the developers have said will play fine on a G3 but at what resolution waits to be seen...... Shorlty I will be giving the Alpha version a whirl and see what it does to my 8500LE.....

Not to give anyone a HUFF about Doom3 , as most know on this forum I am very good about following the rules about leaked stuff and have never posted any link regarding such. I do not think by mentioning it I have done anything wrong, if I have the mods wil remind me which will be the 1st time and I have no problem with that!!!

Cisco Kid:burn:

Last edited:

runsalone

horlty I will be giving the Alpha version a whirl and see what it does to my 8500LE.....

What?? Even employees at ID software outside of the core project are not allowed to see/touch anything to do with Doom III that is not released to the public (or so i understand)

funnyperson1

also keep in mind that DIII is scheduled for release Q4 2003.....by then the 8500/G3 would be what a Geforce2 is now....and the 9700 would be what the 8500/G3 are now.....iss still a long time away....

Last edited:

breez

Q4 2003? I remember iD saying that they will not bring Doom to next years E3 meaning that it will be released before that.

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
well i got an average of 32.5 FPS on my 1.7ghz XP + oc/ed 8500
retail so i think it aint too bad.

KiKaL

I had decent FPS. While just walking with not fight got around 50 FPS. Fire fights 20-30 FPS. Ohh such a great game.

nealric

BAH bottom line is a game is not going to be released that will only play well with the absolute best video cards out
You are exactly right. Just gave the apha demo a try with my gf2 mx400 and I got 20fps average. There is a performace fix that allows this. It's quite playable.

funnyperson1

[OC]This said:
wow.. you guyz already played the Doom3 alpha? Can you gimme a link for download plzzz?

i wouldnt recommend anyone to link you up, sorry but the mods should come in any minute and squash this thread if people dont keep this discussion of DoomIII theoretical....and as THT said...read the forum rules....this forum is not for warez....

Overclocker456

When I run the demo it crashes and it says:

"Radiant MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close"

I'm using G4 ti4200 with the 40 series drivers.. someone help..
Is anyone running it on a Geforce 4?

Top Hat Theater

Overclocker456 said:
When I run the demo it crashes and it says:

"Radiant MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close"

I'm using G4 ti4200 with the 40 series drivers.. someone help..
Is anyone running it on a Geforce 4?

:rolleyes: I really hope a mod takes care of this issue. There was even a post about it...go read it.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136394

~THT