• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

video cd in linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mirko_3

any apps that can do that? Ah, I really do miss Nero... still, I'm very happy to be on linux full time now :)
So, I need a program that can burn a video cd... or even simply a command-line program that can convert mpeg video files to iso.
And what about an app that can do the opposite - that is, extract mpeg video files form a video cd? I need that because I've had no success in mounting a video cd image (mount -o -t iso9660 ro,loop=/dev/loop image.iso /mnt/temp doesn't work...)...

Now that I finally got Atapi to work with Xcdroast, I would actually like to use it :D

XWRed1

mplayer plays the vcds I get just fine. Don't have to waste my time burning them... just tell mplayer to play the bin files.

If you want to burn something in the bin/cue format, you just use cdrdao. If you want to convert them to isos, use binchunk.

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

ok, thanks, I didn't know that about mplayer... As for converting, I use bin2iso now... Thanks a lot!

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

ok, one more thing: both bchunk and bin2iso create 2 iso files, a small (1Mb) one and another big one. Can I safely ignore the small one?

XWRed1

Usually. I've only had one disk where the resultant iso/iso pair wasn't right. At which point, I discovered mplayer could play the bin so I decided not to waste my time converting it.

Why are you converting it btw?

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

There was this Star Wars Episode four, free download (in italian) that was dubbed (I hope it's the correct word...) by some italian guys... it's damned funny, hearing Skywalker talk like he's gay and Darth Vader having 'manhood problems'... The best part is, the images are the same ones, the sound is the only thing changed.
Anyway, I wanted to bring this to my friend's house, so that we could see it on his dvd player...
So, thanks for the help, now that I know that about mplayer I don't think I'll burn many more videocds... :)

XWRed1

cdrdao will burn a bin/cue without any modification. Just like asking cdrecord to burn an iso.

The cd you burn with that will be the exact vcd it was meant to be, same as if you had burned it with Nero or something.