• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Encoding Software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DumpALump

My dad is going to be putting together a new computer in a couple months. He's mainly doing it for video encoding purposes. I was wondering what video encoding software would take advantage of dual cpus?

Dc5e

when i did some encoding with divx and stuff, i noticed the other cpu wasn't being used much.... there probably is some slight improvement to encoding on a dual but the biggest difference is that you can still be able to use the computer without seeing any slowdown.

I think it really depends on the codec, whether it can do multi-threads

rezon8

I have used Vidomi, it is SMP aware, and i does actually improve with 2 cpu's. both Processors are pegged at 100%.
TMPENC and Mainconcept MPEG encoders are SMP aware, and are really fast on my duallie.

But if you are going to build a rig for Vid encoding, go Intel. I know im kinda an AMD fanboy i guess, but the P4 just toasts my duallie as far as raw speed in encoding.

David

Forums Super Moderator
I use Gordian Knot to encode VOBs and the like. Its multithreaded when it does the actual encoding.