• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Fan Removal Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

strrlvr

I have a new GeForce4 Ti4200 video card. I also have a Thermaltake Crystal Orb video Chipset Cooling Fan. I thought I could just replace the generic fan that came with the card, and use my Thermaltake.

My Problem is that I can't get the generic fan off the video card. I can unscrew the Fan, but the circular heatsink won't budge. No Screws, No pins, nothing! I've applied pressure, twisted, and still nothing!
Are some of these fans/heat
sinks glued to the chipset? Can anyone think of an easy way to remove this?

Help!

:(:( :(

ThePunkGeek

ya its pretty easy just but it in the freezer (in a static bag) take it out and use a card (like a cridit card) and just crack the glue off. Or u can twist it untill it pops off. I found big channel locks work good.

Mr. $T$

What the freezer does is, Because of the difference bewteen the plastic and metal, make the metal contract (sp?) and make the bond weaker so it is easier to pry off.

OP
S

strrlvr

I really want to get this new fan installed. Are you guys serious?
Put it in the freezer?

Ok, I guess i'll give it a try.

550M

i've used this method myself a couple of times before, it works really good. the freezer is perfectly safe for the card. it is possible to damage the card when you take off the heatsink even after that though. a square blade on an exacto knife also works well to seperate it. good luck :)