• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Videocard dying???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

svnrd

Almost on a daily basis when playing Word of Warcraft, it looks like my monitor shuts off. If the video does come back up (occasionally the whole computer shuts down) i get an error message that says my GPU accelerator was not responding and had to be reset. It gettings pretty annoying when it happens in the middle of an instance or when i'm fighting mobs. What causes this? Is this just a sign that i need to buy a new video card?

OCdragon

"Almost on a daily basis when playing Word of Warcraft"

Is it happening on playing the above game only or it would happen on playing most games of yours?
If this is the First, you might have Driver issue with your current version of ATI driver, try to update your ATI driver from the Offical Site may help. If it is the latter instead, updating your ATI driver may not help but it is preferrable! In that instance it may be you have HW/overheating issues with your PC though! If you've been using your PC and existing PSU for ages and only have these problems recently, I would tend to say that your existing PSU may NOT be the culprit but overheating may be the cause of it! Try to improve your PC Case Ventilations and Video Card, such as Resitting your ATI GRU's heatsing and adding AS5 to it etc. Watch out your case temperature though! :rolleyes:

Jakalwarrior

Thats VPU recovery. I know of several places in wow that do that to me. The tunnel in thelsemar is one of them. I can NOT go through that tunnel without a vpu recovery.
First, make sure your voltages are up to par, maybe try the vid card on a molex from a dif line. Unplug any extra HDs you arent using etc... Make sure everything is staying cool too, check to see if it only happens in certain places, and lighten up your ram timings. My computer is happily stable at 275HTT 1:1 so PC4400 speeds with 2.5-3-3-7, WOW on the other hand isnt happy unless my memory is at 250 with 3-4-4-7 (could maybe get a lil tighter but not worth the bother unless im benching). If all those things dont work, completely uninstall WOW and reinstall it.

Chrome-

Oh, sounds like my problem when I bought my new X800PRO while playing Counter-Strike. It would always restart over and over again, I would get a blank screen, etc.

All I did to fix that was reformat. After that, it never happened again. Just my two cents.

edit: It was a driver conflict, but I didn't want to deal with unistalling the drivers, etc. I also needed to reformat anyway.

OP
svnrd

svnrd

thanks for all the posts. i installed all new drivers, i'm i'm not OCed, so unless my PSU is messed up, i shouldn't have a problem with voltages. I can't tell for sure right now cause i'm out of town for the holidays. i'll check that as soon as i can. it only does this when playing WoW. I've played F.E.A.R. and haven't had a problem with it.

PhoenixOfChaos

I don't know if you've mentioned this... but have you reinstalled WoW, if FEAR is running fine then I point to a problem in the program its self. For instance, on my 3rd install of HL2 it woul get mem errors pretty fast, but I could go play BF2 for like 15 hours and it would be fine. I reinstalled it and no probs. Give that a shot.

harryinny3

Sounds Like system memory Overheating to me. I Had the same issues with BF2. Took the side of my case off, Problem solved.

Good Luck

Harry