• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VIPRE anti-virus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
Hey guys. Anyone have any input, experience with this software? I recently red up on anti-virus software and this one seems to keep coming up as highly recommended. Small foot print and powerful. I need to protect 3 PC's, so the cost is around $50 for the year. PCworld had them rated the highest. Comments?

ratbuddy

Just throw a free one on there. I've been happy with Microsoft Security Essentials so far.

OP
ashenfang

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
LOL, I never even heard of that till you mentioned it. Reading up on it now. I used to use AVG but it seems unreliable. I know that because you paid for it, doesn't make it better. Does the MSE seem to do a good job at checking/cleaning/staying updated?

deed

antivir free gets my vote here. avast is pretty good also.
I vote avast I have never used vipre and avast uses average amount of resources. But the instant theres a popup or an add that contains a virus you get a warning and its blocked. Then I like nod32 right now its using less then 20mb of ram and thats during a scan.

I would still take vipre though and try it out. Who knows it may be the best protector out there.

ratbuddy

LOL, I never even heard of that till you mentioned it. Reading up on it now. I used to use AVG but it seems unreliable. I know that because you paid for it, doesn't make it better. Does the MSE seem to do a good job at checking/cleaning/staying updated?

MSE comes direct from Microsoft and they seem to be putting a lot of effort into it. I had AVG too but it was causing a glitch that made IE8 unresponsive at times, on both my Vista install and W7 on the other rig, so I dumped it. Avast lost me a few years ago when a virus got through, and their interface sucks anyway. It's an antivirus program and should look like one, not a damn CD player.

I'd give the Mickeysoft option a try before spending cash on a paid solution.