• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

virtual box help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediobi1

ok so i have a windows server class at school and i have a copy of server 2003 and was wondering if anyone knew how to make 2 virtual machines one for a parent domain and one for a child domain but im not sure if i can connect the 2 together, so im wondering if anyone has done this before and if so anyone got any tips for me please let me know and thanks in advance

curtis1552

hahahaha! I'm taking the same class right now. :)
Since I'm looking to do the exact same thing i'll be watching this thread and posting if/when I get somewhere.

(look into VMware too, the new version of the player will allow you to make VMs and not just read them like the old version)

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Of course you can, VirtualBox allows a number of different networking configurations - NAT, Bridged, etc. It would be no problem to get two VMs to communicate normally, but I could see issues if you set the domain server to also act as a DHCP server. Turn that off and then set up the machines like you would real machines, bridge them to your LAN, and off you go.

OP
jediobi1

jediobi1

Of course you can, VirtualBox allows a number of different networking configurations - NAT, Bridged, etc. It would be no problem to get two VMs to communicate normally, but I could see issues if you set the domain server to also act as a DHCP server. Turn that off and then set up the machines like you would real machines, bridge them to your LAN, and off you go.

i dont need dhcp but i do need dns would that cause any problems?

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
i dont need dhcp but i do need dns would that cause any problems?

When you get it all set up, the domain server's gateway would be your physical router or whatever happens to be the DHCP server on your LAN. The router would hand down DNS info to the Domain Server, and then the DS would hand DNS info down to the Workstation VM.

Having thought about it, I think the best idea is to bridge the machines to your LAN but give them static IPs. Set the Workstation VM to use the Domain Server as a gateway.

So:

Router <---> Domain Server VM <---> Workstation VM

Alternatively you could scrap the idea of using your router's DHCP service and build your own virtual LAN on a different subnet. The router would still need to be a gateway to the DS, though.

If this is for a class, you would learn much more by simply experimenting and trying different things for yourself to see what works best. Reading stuff on the internet can help but it won't stick until you do it. Also, depending on what kind of career you pursue, this is stuff you should be able to do in your sleep, so get in there and practice.

OP
jediobi1

jediobi1

well i got them to connect but i still cant replicate gives me an error about not finding the child in the cache