• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virtual memory low???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DoubleJ8

I'm fixing a buddies computer and it is telling me that the virtual memory is low and that windows will begin to shut down programs. I'm assuming that this means there isn't enough RAM as he only has 128MB of PC2100. I just wanted to check with you guys before I send him out to buy more RAM.

Thanks

Grandpa Dan

Windows help.
readinghelp.gif

Yes 128mb is a bit of a bottleneck. :rolleyes:

PiMpShiN

no virtual memory needs to be increased in the control panel. Click on the system icon then go to advanced. Then under performance click settings. next click on the advanced tab and at the bottom you will see virtial memory and you can change the amount.

All virtual memory is, is an assigned amount of disk space that acts as ram.

OP
D

DoubleJ8

OK, great. He does need more memory though? All he uses it for is AOL, low tech gaming, word peocessing.

Also, what are the max I should set the virtual memory too to avoid problems?

Last edited:

wanna_b_rich_13

Just keep the VM on its defualt amount.

I would get at least another 128MB of memory to be able to run adequetely for what you are currently doing. More RAM won't hurt anything.

Grandpa Dan

If he's using xp 128 is not nearly enough. I know, minmum system req. are 64mb but thats a joke. Windows xp needs at least 256mb min. just to be usable.

Set your virtual mem. to 2 times the amount of ram and set the min. and the max. to the same number.

i.e. min. 256
max. 256

PiMpShiN

yeah you dont need to get another stick of memory. to me 128mb is enough, i had that for the longest time and everything worked fine but you may set your virtual memory to another 128 to help you out. but VM is not a replacement for ram its just a lite version of ram if you understand what i am saying. its used to conpensate for lack of ram.

Grandpa Dan

PiMpShiN said:
yeah you dont need to get another stick of memory. to me 128mb is enough, i had that for the longest time and everything worked fine but you may set your virtual memory to another 128 to help you out. but VM is not a replacement for ram its just a lite version of ram if you understand what i am saying. its used to conpensate for lack of ram.

Are you serious? you can't be.

If 128 is enough why you got 1gb?

PiMpShiN

well my old computer which i was using not too long ago had pc100 128mb of ram but to be honest worked ok. i could have used more but it was enough to perform the tasks i needed it to do. as he said the guy only uses it for light computing so 128 should be sufficient and maybe some more VM, then he sould be set.