• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virtual Servers - Good enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
We run arround 2000 production virtual servers at work and have very few issues. I actually perfer working on VM boxes for the most part. Unless you really require a ton of power virtual boxes work just fine.

I'm also running virtual server at home with a virtualized exchange environment. It works pretty well. My only problem is that my virtual machines are currently on the same disk as my host OS. after I change this I expect things to speed up drastically.

I use Virtual Server 2005 R2 every day, I like it better than VMWare. The best config we've found is to mirror the server OS and then run all the VM's in a fast storage array (lot's of spindles is preferred), usually 10 to 15 VM's running simultaneously with no lag. Go back disks are nice for testing purposes and of course the ability to move images to any real hardware box. We moved most of our real servers over to VM's recently to save space and power.

I wonder what VmWare products you've tested if you prefer Virtual Server 2005 R2? Maby GSX server, the free server or some old ESX?

Back