• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

virus scanner?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

armatage

I'm also using AVG and it picked up a trojan horse the other day that a fully updated Norton missed.

AVG is also very easy to use

garwain

no mentioned housecall.antivirus.com yet?

I don't deserve credit for this one. I only tried it recently, but was told about it several times here and on other forums.

Yodums

garwain said:
no mentioned housecall.antivirus.com yet?

I don't deserve credit for this one. I only tried it recently, but was told about it several times here and on other forums.

I use Trend Micro's online virus scanner. It picked up things Norton couldn't pickup because it wasn't ran from the HDD which the virus gets ignored from those on the HDD.

About AVG, does anyone else have input on it?

Disputant

I am going to have to take a look at that House Call AV, sounds promising.

I use AVG on my second partition of my work computer. My initial impressions are that it is a much lighter client than Norton which I use on my first partition and that it is just as feature rich as Norton. I havn't done any testing on it as of yet though, but it is not the resource hog that NAV is.

Disputant

baqai said:
http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

same here, i have updated norton but it can't find JACK on my PC, but with housecall i found 7 trojans on my PC, i still think my computer is infected by some virus i get these wierd PackageFromTheWeb errors which are said to be caused mostly by viruses, but i can't seem to find any virus on my PC maybe i am just too paranoid :rolleyes:

Damn, 7 trojans, hope I don't go to the same sites you do!

baqai

Disputant said:

Damn, 7 trojans, hope I don't go to the same sites you do!

well i meant totaly 7 files were infected, most of them were those stupid joke's exe files my friends send on email and were found "Clean" from those hotmail or yahoo online scanners as well as from norton

it was better than having nearly 1500+ files infected with CIH virus a year back :D

Kendan i am on www.sarc.com but i can't seem to find the online scanner there maybe i am too high or something :D

Edit: I guess i WAS high lol found the link, its the third link under Virus Definitions

Tipycol

baqai said:
http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

same here, i have updated norton but it can't find JACK on my PC, but with housecall i found 7 trojans on my PC, i still think my computer is infected by some virus i get these wierd PackageFromTheWeb errors which are said to be caused mostly by viruses, but i can't seem to find any virus on my PC maybe i am just too paranoid :rolleyes:

Is Norton really that bad? I've been relying on it for a few years, but WinXP needs a newer version and I was just about to buy it too but now I'm not sure.

Tipycol

baqai

i used to rely only on Norton myself too, but lately things were too strange on my computer files suddenly going corrupt and all and i started having my doubts on Norton and than one day when trying to logon to dalnet chat server i was told that i my computer is infected by trojan horse which made me jump ..

so i ended up finding this online scanner and turns out that my computer WAS infected by the trojan horse (which norton didn't find)

i even tried scanning the exact file which was infected with norton and was found clean and my copy was updated a day ago and no virus updates are available its all too scary for me :eek:

Tipycol

baqai said:
i used to rely only on Norton myself too, but lately things were too strange on my computer files suddenly going corrupt and all and i started having my doubts on Norton and than one day when trying to logon to dalnet chat server i was told that i my computer is infected by trojan horse which made me jump ..

so i ended up finding this online scanner and turns out that my computer WAS infected by the trojan horse (which norton didn't find)

i even tried scanning the exact file which was infected with norton and was found clean and my copy was updated a day ago and no virus updates are available its all too scary for me :eek:

Well guess I'll use two virus scanners now :) Thanks for the info bout Norton, and I thought I was mostly safe :mad: Well I know what to put on all my computers now :D

Thanks again

Tipycol