• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VISIONTEK Geforce3????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
PART 1:

Batboy quoted...

This MX card ain't cutting it anymore. If I had a Pro or an Ultra, then sure thing I'd wait a while longer. Looks like GF3 is here to stay.

-->> Very well said. I agree with you. That's what I was thinking too. :p

To Nagorak,

I have shared your quote on what you responded to Batboy to other people on the net. I mentioned nobodies' names so they dont know who is who, lol. however, I wanted to hear other's opinion and comments so here it goes.. and by the way I agree with others who responded from your quote.

One person responded,
IMHO the GF3 is a waste of money right now.
But his whole arguement will not hold in a few months. Some people made the same arguement against the GF2, saying that the GF1 DDR offers the same performace. Now they've shut up and realized the GF2 is faster.
The same arguement is brought out in "real life" with people buying suv's. Do you really need an suv to drive on the highway? NO. But people stll buy them.

If you've got the money to buy a gf3 then buy one. If you don't have the money and ***** about the gf3 just STFU please.

The other reponded...
While he does make a valid point,there are games that a MX simply dont play well at High res...ever tried Undying? at 1024x768x16 i get a framerate average of 30 which dips into the ~15 at times. I have tons of games and for me,an upgrade is long overdue. And since upgrading to a gf2 would be foolish(although it was my intent before i noticed the GF3 price drop) i'm getting a GF3 tomorow...waste of money? I think not...not for me anyway

The another one reponded...
IMHO on the current games I now have I am able to put all settings to the max and in 32 bit color and still get faster fps than I used to. Is it worth it to me personally to have this G3? Yes, in a big way because I never realized how much better these games look in 32 bit color with all the eye candy turned on. The 2-D is much better too. Of course being able to afford it made the decision easy for me.

PART 2:

The another guy said..
the funny thing is i want a geforce3 to play cs. people say that the low system requirments make it foolish to get a geforce3 for but i want to play cs at 1024x764 with as much fsaa and antistropic filtering that i can. only the geforce3 will do this for me at a resonable clip.

btw, i have a geforce3 coming in form newegg today, not for me but for a system im building for a friend. but the rest of the parts dont come in untel tommorow and if it does to cs what i think it will in my system today i am gonna order another one overnight

Another...
I do agree with the guy BUT one feature that the GF3 has that NO OTHER card can do as well is QAA! That feature ALONE (for me) is worth the money. If you've never seen FSAA (in person) you probably won't understand. But ever since my Voodoo5 5500, it is hard for me to play games (ESPECIALLY games like the NFS series) without FSAA now since I've already seen how much better the picture quality looks with it turned on.

Games can only get so fast before you can't tell the difference (100FPS+ min FPS), but the picture quality can ALWAYS get better.

another....
the gf3 is really not that much more expansive than a gf2 when it first came out last year...and thats for a 64 meg card that allows you to play games in 1600x1200x32 at HIGH framerate or in 1280x960x32 with QFaa and anisotropic tap 64 at even higher framerate...i'm sorry but in games like Mw4 at full details and Echelon,my little MX just doesn't cut it anymore

another...
Although he is half true, I know that I would sure be able to tell the difference between a GF2 MX and a GF3.

It depends how the user is going to use the GF3 for.. if you run todays and old games and new games at low res'ed and less eye-candy, yes ofcourse you wouldn't need GF3!! As I mentioned before.. this card's purpose is for high res'ed, with extra graphics features (if supported from old games) and with FSAA on while maintaining very satisfactory gameplay in speed. I heard that in in some case that a GF3 with 1600x 1200x 32bit out FPS'ed (in average) the GF2 Ultra with 1024x 768x 32bit in some games. But at low res'ed with 16bit color, the GF3 performs not well because it was not even meant to be run at that kind of low settings. You really have to own the card to really experience it. I have heard the reports from those who own GF3 and actually tested with GF2 Ultra ..and they were and are amazed with the GF3's graphics quality with Higher Res'ed than their GF2 Ultra. Yes.. I agree Jumping from GF2 Pro or Ultra to GF3 at this time may not be worth it but it sure is from GF2 MX to GF3 in anyday. Hope you got it what we meant, dear Nagorak :p

Well that was a lot of posts, but I don't see exactly what they prove. Just because your GF2 MX "isn't cutting it" doesn't mean you have to buy a $350 GF3. There's the Kyro II, Radeon, GF2 GTS/Pro cards out there for just over a hundred dollars.

Come to think of it, jumping from a GF2 MX to a GF3 doesn't strike me as being very consistent. The MX is a budget card, one would think if you bought a budget card, well, you would be concerned with your budget.

Quincunx AA is actually very unimpressive from my standpoint. It was totally hyped up, but when it comes down to it, the quality is closer to 2X FSAA (not 4XFSAA as was claimed). Of course, I also feel that by and large FSAA actually degrades the picture quality anyway.

I never claimed the GF3 would always be a waste of money. However, there is a good chance it will be. Here's why: in 6 months when all of those cards I mentioned above hit the market, they'll all be faster than the GF3. The competition from all of them will drive their prices down, causing the "GF4" to cost much less on release than the GF3 does. In my opinion this will cause one of two things to happen: 1) The GF3 drops drastically in price and starts selling as a budget card-- you've just lost $250 for having the card a couple extra months; 2) The GF3 drops a substantial amount, but the GF4 and company cost only a tiny bit more-- in this case the argument could be made that the GF3 was still a waste of money at that point because the GF4 was only slightly more.

You can play Counterstrike in 1600*1200 w/full anisotropy with a Radeon LE for just over $100. Want FSAA? You can get the Kyro II for $115. HL has low requirements, I don't think any arguments about wanting higher quality in that game are valid at all.

Also, comparing the cost of the GF3 now to the cost of the GF2 64 MB cards when they were released and ALSO OVERPRICED doesn't really work. That's like saying hey, Windows ME isn't any more buggy than Windows 98-- it doesn't really say anything.

Keep in mind that the GF2 MX and the GF3 are not the only two cards on the market. Because the MX doesn't cut it for you doesn't automatically mean you need to get the GF3. Also, buying for the future only works when you actually keep the card longer than 6 months! If you are going to buy a card again in 6 months then there's no reason to "buy for the future", the card will be gone before the future even gets here. One other thing to keep in mind is things rarely, if ever, live up to your expectations. 1600*1200 w/QAA might sound really cool, but I guarantee you it won't be as great as you think it's going to be.

I'll be honest, I don't really understand where you guys are coming from. I don't really care to understand (and don't take that in the wrong way, I'm not trying to be rude). If you really think you need a GF3, then that's fine, it's your money to spend. I just think you should give it some thought first.

By the way I could easily afford a GF3 if I wanted one, so don't think that I'm living in the poor house and bitching about not being able to buy one. I honestly am not interested in it because I feel it is badly overpriced.

If you can justify the purchase to yourself, then that's all that is really important. I'll always be here to try to convince people to think twice before buying though. Kind of like that nagging "conscience" angel that appears in cartoons or something. ;-)

I just made a major revision to my thoughts. I am getting a GF2Ultra. I will use the money saved to get somthing around X-mas this year, hoping that I wont need the added features of the GF3 untill then. Thanks a ton for all the input. This was one of my most successfull posts yet:)

visiontek is supposed to be a very reliable and overall good card maker. geforce 3? holy crap dude! i would kill for one of those!

Back