• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista Ultimate Windows Media player freezing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

audioAl

Registered
I recently built a 64 bit Ultimate machine and the WMP freezes when I try to play a DVD. It may be missing a codec, is there anyway to find out which one? It has direct x. I am at a loss to figure this out, I don't want to uninstall the os and reinstall. Thanks in advance for any help,Alan:rain:

OP
audioAl

audioAl

Registered
Re: Link

Reduxx900, Thanks for the response. The Vista machine in question is an AMD 4200+ cpu on an Asrock mobo with ATI 4200 onboard graphics. Please explain accordingly,Alan PS, Nero 8 will play dvd's but the windows media player over rides and the machine freezes so I must reboot to unlock.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
if that doesn't work, there is always a workaround that i suggest to those wanting to play dvds: VLC

VLC will play practically anything, including DVD's, and it's free (as in opensource).

OP
audioAl

audioAl

Registered
Well I went to AMD and downloaded the ATI Catylist driver for the HD 3200 onboard graphics and that fixed the freeze! Thanks ,now I can get paid,Alan