• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VMware 3.0.0 Error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Norcalsteve

Ok, this is annoyin...
any input would be helpful, I am folding the Bigadv Ubuntu set up along with X2 GPU GTX285's with both sets of Shaders set to 1620 (Core 648, Mem 1242). Basically my "Sig Rig"

It didnt corrupt my files while folding, but i have to restart the VM player and pick up from last save point. but if this happens while i am asleep, could be up to 8 hours of point loss for me... not that i will catch any of you! :D

EDIT: I am sure my OC is stable... no BSOD's... and 21hrs under Prime95 blend... but could this be an instability error? It says something about monitor so i dunno if its graphical, but i also see "vcpu-7:VMM..........." so could it be an error reading to the CPU? if so, should i touch a bit of Vcore to my settings? or QPI... SOMETHING??????

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

ChasR

VMs crash without enough memory and if the OC is unstable. Either Seth or Cuda is correct, with the possibility both are.

OP
Norcalsteve

Norcalsteve

i have 6 gig installed and i assigned max 5540mb (to max VM reccomended in set up)

i will turn all the way up and bump my vcore...

EDIT:
OK, set my vcore 2 notches higher, and set my QPI from 1.27 to 1.30
and manually typed in 6000mb in VM player setup

Last edited:

Adak

Few rigs can fold at their top stable-otherwise, speed.

It appears that a graphics buffer write, was written over into the VM cpu area of memory.

OP
Norcalsteve

Norcalsteve

ok, been up all day! not one error!!! all she needed was a 1 notch jump in Vcore (i put 2 notches in for safety, and temps are rockin...)

now i just need to figure these GPU clients out again... unless... the PPD on GPU clients differs from WU to WU... correct? also, does putting Verbose/advanced flags on your GPU kill your PPD? what should i do to keep that at max production... config wise? small/normal/big? I have Big selected for the GPU's... and Idle for priority... but my Bigadv in VM and darn near maxing my cores out at 100%... could that slow my GPUs down? any input on GPU maximization now would rock...

1720 shaders are locked and stable!! MOAR PPD!!!!!

dylskee

I learned the hard way too, my system was rock solid prime stable @4200 and I eventually had to bring it down 200MHz and bump up the vcore a bit to get it folding stable. It sucks to lose a 60,000 point WU when you're computer crashes!

Surferseth

[email protected] in the City of Lost Angels
If your GPU has a higher priority then the CPU folding should not slow it down. In Task Manager, find the vmware-vmx.exe process and set its priority to LOW. I believe thats all you need to do to get the most out of your GPU. ChasR can speak more, and has many times, on the priority settings.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
If your GPU has a higher priority then the CPU folding should not slow it down. In Task Manager, find the vmware-vmx.exe process and set its priority to LOW. I believe thats all you need to do to get the most out of your GPU. ChasR can speak more, and has many times, on the priority settings.

There is a setting in the VMX file you can change to force it to be lower priority whenever it starts so you dont have to do it each time you load up the vmware. ChasR should know what it is I cant recall off the top of my head. It was in another thread let me see if I can find it.

*edit*
edit the .vmx file and add the line priority.ungrabbed="idle"

from this post here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6370428&postcount=25

Last edited:

Dead Things

Registered
I find it's also useful to add...

priority.ungrabbed="idle"

...so that your GPU clients don't tank while you're working in the VM. Responsiveness does not suffer greatly.

ChasR

If you work in the VM, your gpu production will tank regardless. The lowest priority a VM will run when grabbed is normal.

ChasR

i have 6 gig installed and i assigned max 5540mb (to max VM reccomended in set up)

i will turn all the way up and bump my vcore...

EDIT:
OK, set my vcore 2 notches higher, and set my QPI from 1.27 to 1.30
and manually typed in 6000mb in VM player setup

It's probably unwise to assign all available ram to the VM. 4300 MB is sufficient to run -bigadv WUs.

ChasR

I have.

Edit:
I have with VMware Server. It runs at normal when grabbed. I decided to try it with Player since I thought I really should have given DT the benefit of the doubt.
I found, DT is correct, normal isn't the lowest grabbed priority with Player 3.0.0.
If you set priority.grabbed to "idle" you do indeed get idle priority. That's a good find DT.

Last edited: