• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voice Chat over LAN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KaHNZa

Does anyone know if there is a program that allows you to talk in real time over a LAN? I kinda want to be able to talk to the other people on my LAN, but they are 2 floors up. Any ideas?

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
Skype is another good one, but isn't great for LAN use (excellent over the internet). It encrypts your voice and uses P2P technology to ping it off of other people on the internet, if needed, in order to make a connection.

JohnnyTheRed

I set up Ventrilo just to get familiar with this type of program. So far I set up the server, and have gotten clients to connect to it. I can use the chat function fine. But how do I allow for a microphone to be used, so that clients can talk to each other (without having to type)?

- Thanks

Fightingpiper

http://picophone.com/

You dont need to run a server........I use it for gaming online with a friend and it has great audio quality with no voice lag because of the direct connections instead of going to a server first...should work on a LAN by entering the LAN IP's although I have never tried it on LAN....

Cjwinnit

B&
su root said:
Skype is another good one, but isn't great for LAN use (excellent over the internet). It encrypts your voice and uses P2P technology to ping it off of other people on the internet, if needed, in order to make a connection.

I'm guessing that because Skype is housed by the Kazaa people, it has adware?

And I can vouch for Ventrilo, it's pretty good :)

OP
KaHNZa

KaHNZa

Fightingpiper said:
http://picophone.com/

You dont need to run a server........I use it for gaming online with a friend and it has great audio quality with no voice lag because of the direct connections instead of going to a server first...should work on a LAN by entering the LAN IP's although I have never tried it on LAN....

That one looks pretty neat too. :)

jajmon

Reading the picophone website, the client 'does' connect to a server.

"Important information: Picophone connects to www.vitez.it to obtain the list of picoservers and the public IP address of the computer, where Picophone is running. Its connection attempts are not spyware."

su root

I used picophone a while back, but was very disappointed at the lag it had... you could hear yourself about a half-second to a second later.

Maybe it's better in the new versions, but I'm sticking with Skype for now, as far as I can tell, it gets there almost immediately, which makes for smoother conversations. It's also more clear, I find.

SniperXX

Cjwinnit said:

I'm guessing that because Skype is housed by the Kazaa people, it has adware?

And I can vouch for Ventrilo, it's pretty good :)

I never really cared for Skype, I tryed it and didnt care for it.

Our local group of lan guys has a ventrillo server we run for when we do lan party head to heads where normal guys from each lan meet @ one special event lan and dike it out. We also use the ventrillo server for our practice seeions in BF the few days before the lan on a server we run off a T1 @ one guy's personal company T1, lol.

Ravsitar

su root: most problems like that are microphone and speaker related. If you use a headset mic you don't usually get your own echos.

Picophone is the best. Works great. Used to play starcraft on dialup with a friend of mine with that running as well and there's wasn't any lag. Of course we had the quality turned down so as not to interfeer with the game. but still.

su root

Ravsitar said:
su root: most problems like that are microphone and speaker related. If you use a headset mic you don't usually get your own echos.
I know that I can use a headset, but it's just a little disconcerting hearing your voice a half second to a full second later when you are on "speakerphone".

When I switched to skype, I get no feedback, and I can't hear my voice, and as far as I can tell, it's fairly immediate that it gets to the other side, because there's no lag in our conversation as there was using picophone.

Ravsitar

hmmm. That's strange. I know when I was using picophone the echo was defiantally cause by the mic picking up my speakers. With the headset it went away. Well is suspose the computer setup makes a diferent too.

Fightingpiper

jajmon said:
Reading the picophone website, the client 'does' connect to a server.

"Important information: Picophone connects to www.vitez.it to obtain the list of picoservers and the public IP address of the computer, where Picophone is running. Its connection attempts are not spyware."

if you would have read the whole thing you would know that the "server" function is if you want to use it and your behind a NAT firewall. IT is a function that is Enabled by you the user and not on by default. If you dont enable it all you do is type in your peeps IP and it connects directly to that person....no server is involved. Its an IP translation funtion kinda like no-ip.com or Dynu.com. If your using this function and you wanted to call me, all you have to do is put in my Username and press call and it would send it to the server. the server would then look for my client and connect us directly together. the voice isnt going through a server when your talking to someone. ITs only there to try and make it easier for you to connect to someone.. Basiclally it translates your username to an IP...........

also I have never had any sort of lag, delay, or feedback associated with it. We use it all the time in BF1942 for coordinating the Swoop-n-scoop and its real time with the game with no delay whats so ever.

Ubetcha!!

Last edited: