• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volcano 6 Cu Plus for T-Bird Overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maehor

Registered
Hi,

I'm planning to do some Overclocking on my T-Bird 1000 (to be reached: between 1200 and 1400 MHz). At the moment I'm using a noname aluminium heatsink with a 60mm cooler (running at about 5600 rpm according to my KT7A's BIOS) which keep the temp of my CPU between 38 and 48 °C. As I don't think this will be enough for some decent OC results I'm looking for a new (not so expensive but still effective) cooling combination.

My first glances fell on the Volcano 6 Cu Plus as it's specs sound pretty impressive concerning the low price (between 12 and 15 Euros).

Do you agree with that or would you rather recommend something else?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I have a Volcano 6Cu. The heatsink on the 6Cu is identical to the heatsink on the 6Cu+. The difference is that the fan on the 6Cu spins at just 4500 RPM rather than a 7000 RPM Delta "Screamer" clone. If noise is even a slight issue, then this type of fan is not for you.

I only bought this heatsink to hold me over until I could assemble a watercooling setup, but my budget ran a little tighter than I hoped, so I decided to just stick with the 6Cu. With a duct on my HSF, I can keep my load temps down to around 45C (see my sig for my system's details). The T-bird 1000 probably puts out about the same amount of heat as an 1800+, so I think a Volcano 6Cu (NOT +) would be a good choice for a budget overclocking HSF for yourself. If noise is not an issue, and you're not willing to duct, then you would probably be better off getting the Volcano 6Cu+.

Last edited:
I'd say by far and wide the best choice for anyone looking for a low priced, but high quality heatsink, would be a Thermalright SK6+. You can use a quiet 80mm fan with it, and can buy if for $10, you should be able to find it for around 10 euros, too. It'll be cheaper and quieter than just about anything else for that price.

sandman001 said:
the sk-6 uses 60m fans doesn't it?

Anyway, go for an sk-7, and an 80mm fan.

This would be around 38 € instead of 14 € :(

Gautam said:
I'd say by far and wide the best choice for anyone looking for a low priced, but high quality heatsink, would be a Thermalright SK6+. You can use a quiet 80mm fan with it, and can buy if for $10, you should be able to find it for around 10 euros, too. It'll be cheaper and quieter than just about anything else for that price.

The SK-6+ costs about 25 € without fan here in Germany. :(

Get it. Its the cheapest efficient cooler I've used. Just make sure you get rid of that cheesy thermal pad they generally come with. Mine was supposed to be the (+) model, but it spins at only 4500rpm. Yes, I was kind of upset finding this out now. Thank you whoever noted this. This sink gave me 100MHz OC's on a not-very oc'able Palomino (XP) 1900+.

Still waiting to see what I can do with my new JUIHB 1700+ with a copper shim, and silver thermal compound (no more zinc ointment for those who know what I'm talking about ;) ). This T-Bred is running cooler than my Duron was. Around 33° instead of 36-41°C. Well, until I put it at 166MHz FSB.

But yes, I'd say get it.

-Frank

you might want to look at the SK-7 or AX-7 if you can afford it. Even the SK-6 with a decent 60mm fan is a good solution, its just that most people greatly prefer the noise to performance of larger fans.

Oops! I made a really big typo:

DarkJediSleikas said:
If noise is not an issue, and you're not willing to duct, then you would probably be better off getting the Volcano 6Cu.

I meant to say that if noise isn't an issue and you're not willing to duct, then you'd be better off with a Volcano 6Cu+ . Sorry about that.

Back