• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volcano 7 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tillong

On the bottom of my Thermal Take Volcano 7 theres a layer of black over top the copper base insert. All the pictures I've seen online don't have this. What exactly is this and why is is there? Should I peel it off? Thanks

Paul.

Arctic

I suggest you take off that black pad from the Volcano 7 and put some real thermal paste on like.. AS2 or AS3.. cuz the pad really sucks with it comes to transfering heat..

Puer Aeternus

Will scraping off the black pad improve cooling?...right now I see no significant cooling differences..it is cooler, but reaches 50c at full load. my Volcano2 reached 58c at full load. Need to rethink my fan placement...hmmmm...more excuses to mod.Damn this addictive Hobby:p

Lt. Max

yes removing the black pad should decrease your temps, as long as you have thermal grease or Arctic Silver(reccommended) there. also if you remove it i would go ahead and lap it, tho thats optional.

Lt. Max

lapping means to take a high grit sandpaper, placing it on a desk or other flat(!) object and then rubbing heatsink over it in different patterns. most people lap it by starting near 400 then 600 then 800 and then if you want mirror finish you can go aboe 1000 grit. also it is said that its better to put water on the sandpaper for better results.

Puer Aeternus

geez, that is more sophisticated than my method, I spit on it and rub it on my jeans...KIDDING:p
I may just scrape off the pad and worry about lapping later....too addictive.... too soon...too much $$$$$$

Yodums

Mixing compounds isn't recommended. You should have taken a bottle of isopropyl and cleaned it off. Thats why maybe your other chip is getting too hit, 60 degrees is dangerous to tamper with.

Puer Aeternus

Sweet tip...I am still pretty novice and w/ no computer training it makes O/C a bit of an adventure. I am awefully glad this Forum and you guys are around, I am learning sooo much sooo quickley!
Thanks all!!

OP
T

Tillong

Thermal Paste

I've got some thermal paste, but my one question is, does it only go on the die? Will it hurt anything if it gets on the chip anywhere else? Thanks Paul.

Jeniva

Puer Aeternus said:
I have thermal paste on it right now..along w/ the black pad...later on I will scrape it off and re-apply the thermal grease. What does "Lap it" mean?
like Yodums said, you dont want both on there...Use a credit card or something of the sort, scrape off the thermal pad, and use Rubbing alchohol to clean it up real good, then apply some AS3..or AS2..depending on what you have...

oh yea..have you modded the Volcano7 yet?
its easy and the fan will run at full speed all the time after modding...just remove the thermistor,and twist(soldering is better) the wires together..cover with heatshrink or elec tape and your good to go....
oh yea..the Tt Volcano7+ is out now...(solid copper HS)
[EDIT: Lapping refers to a process of using a FLAT surface and increasing grits of wet/dry sand paper to remove the surface irregularities on the HS..there by increasing the amount of surface area contacted (HS& the DIE on the CPU)..wich allows better heat transfer, thus better cooling...there are a few threads here on LAPPING]

Puer Aeternus

Hey there,
ya, I did get the fan running at full RPM...but only after an accidnet. I snipped off the diode and went to strip the wires so I could twist em together and whoops off goes the wires from the solder point....so dude at a local puter shop did a solder job for free and now she runs at 5100 rpm's avg.
The grease i used was "Sil More" silicone compound..It came w/ a fan I bought a while ago(mini super orb).
I scraped off the thermal pad but did not lap it..I did use an alcohal wipe to clean the H/S first...I do not see any radical cooling differences w/ my new fan...w/ SETI running for an hour it is at 51c, 8 degrees diff from my volcano 2 fan. I have 2 exhaust fans and 2 hard drive coolers in empty bays bringing in cool air. i plan on reading about ducts to see if that is a possibility, but after breaking a 750 chip and taking a piece off my socket, I think I will lay low w/ the mods for a while and let my wallet recuperate from the abuse:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
duct on V7

I have a 80mm fan hole in my side panel directly above the cpu's heatsink. It helps by a couple of degrees. Now that my V7 is in my girl's computer, I set up a side panel duct for her too.