• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volcano 7+ & socket 478 problem and possible solutions!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alecela

Registered
I was having trouble installing the newly acquired Thermaltake Volcano 7+ onto my Epox 4SDA mobo and I took another close look and found the problem:

This is the socket bracket on my Epox:

9320899-c228-02000180-.jpg

Notice the plastic pin head that is sticking out of the socket's base...

It's stoping the base of the Volcano from touching the CPU die.

I went and checked out my friend's Soltek P4X266A mobo and found a better socket attachment:

9320898-75ed-02000180-.jpg

Notice the recess holes that house the screw head so the base of the bracket is completely flush... THERE!

Fortunately the plastic pin on my epox were there for reinforcement so I actually removed two of them and still had a rather rigid bracket.

A quick look around indicates that majority of the mobo makers use the plastic pin attachement for cost savings...

Since there aren't a lot of socket 478 HSFs out there I can't say whether this would be a problem. It would seem that Thermaltake, in this case, is not following the guidelines too religiously. If you look at the base of the stock Intel HSF, both sides are recessed probably due to this small adjustment for pin attachment... Just something to look out for when you shop for mobo and HSF...:burn:

I wish I would had read your post a while back. I had this issue with my new Volcano 7+ and my Asus P4T-E. Do you know if they sell retention brackets for Socket 478 boards? I ended up putting the Volcano 7+ on my other machine and buying a Swiftech MX478.

Back