• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volcano 9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ceowulf

Registered
Volcano 9 & XP2000+

Hey guys!

Some great threads, I've read most of them hoping to scrape out an answer that would suite my question :)

Reading the AMD CPU faq:

Temps

For most of you should NEVER hit anymore than 45c under load and under 40c is preffered. The max you can run this chip is 90-95c depending on your chip.

-----

This is disturbing, my XP 2000+ @1665 {I think :p} is running on idle at around 45, gets up to 55-60 when under load. The motherboard usually sits at 31 degree's while idle and up to 45 under load! I'm getting really worried here.

The board is an Asus A7V8X, and im running 512 meg of PC 2700.

The CPU is still locked {no WAY am I going to try that on my budget :)}, and the motherboard hasnt been changed either {as in I havnet changed any jumpers around}. All I've used to "change the speed" is the BIOS, which lets me run it at 1225ish, 1665ish, and 2025ish?

I can only use the first two, the last one doesnt work as my monitor just doenst turn on after the reboot.

ANYWAY, with that quick run down of my system, real question is this. On the volcano 9 it has a sensor which your supposed to place underneath the CPU, is it damaging to "stick" that little temp diode under there? I didnt, I just left it lose and im worried it could be causing some undue damage and perhaps causing the excess heat?

I did put the thermal past on the little chip, and I smeared it very lightly {using the plastic bag trick described in another FAQ here} on the copper base of both the CPU and the fan. I'm reluctant to try and reseat it as the fan is a NIGHTMARE to put on {requiring a great deal of effort and a screw driver :p}, but if the general opinion is that the fan isnt seated properly as the heat is too high, I'll be digging that screw driver out again.

Sorry for the length of my first post... I get carried away sometimes :p

---------

Oh oh AND, I only have a 250 watt power supply... This is a bad thing now isnt it? :p Especially if I want to get a Radeon 9700 soon? True? False?

Last edited:

weasel

Welcome to the forums, as for the temp diode, it should be placed next to the cpu die. A small dab of thermal paste on the diode where it contacts the side of the diode should help keep it in place.

Docta_Z

Sometimes certain boards read higher, like asus ones.. I run at 45 normal and 52 under load. Any of this bull that people tell you about 55 damaging computer isn't much of a concern. . I've run numerous cpus at about a 45-52 load, nothing is hurt. I'd put 60 degrees as a warning. But Don't worry about it.

OP
C

Ceowulf

Registered
Thanks for the response guys, after going home and checking the stats out its actually around 45-50 idle, up to around 60 at load {the ASUS Probe software I've got set the warning at 77 degree's}.

Its hot, but it hasnt crashed on me once... I'm just getting a bit nervous, Australian summers can get rather hot sometimes.

jacheatamobits

dont use the sensor, beleive me, it defeats the purpouse of using a volcano 9!

btw, i HAD my sensor from my volcano 9 sitting nice and snug next to the die, but the HSF didnt sit right, or something, and i got temps like yours.

if you dont like the noise, you can always use the manual controler knob, but who wants to have to remember to turn it up before actualy utilizing the CPU's full potential?

i say, make sure you got good contact by running the chip at stock speeds, and monitoring your temps, then... UNLOCK IT!

its not that hard, and if you take your time, you wont make any mistakes. (believe me, i know)

OP
C

Ceowulf

Registered
So you recommend just setting the Volcano at its maximum settings and letting it go?

I take it from your post that you also now have more "normal" temps right since reseating it?

I think after reading a few more guides that I'll give it a shot, I may lower the multiplyer and up the FSB as it seems people think I'll get better game speeds and less heat. All good! :)

OP
C

Ceowulf

Registered
Thats crazy, but is reassuring.

When putting it through its paces {playing an mpeg, mp3, and diablo2 at the same time :)} the actual case itself starts getting rather hot to the touch. At this point I got a little fan, opened up the case and pointed it at the mboard :p

jacheatamobits

yeah, im @ like 37 right now (browsing and what-not)

load is like 43, on or around

gots ta unlock the cpu first, and yeah, the psu looks a little puny

dont forget to make good contact... i almost burned down my house (not realy) when my hsf wasnt seated right

ManOfKnight

Back in Iowa :( Come on Gators, Get up and Go!
did ya'll even look on the pictures that come with the volcano 9? you are to use the tape that comes with it to apply it to the BOTTOM of the chip...it works on the same principle as the old heat sensors. Yes taping it to the bottom of the chip would give you a more reliable reading and increase the fan accordingly

OP
C

Ceowulf

Registered
NyTE yes I looked at those pictures long and hard. The tape they provided didnt fit the bottom of the CPU {no where near it in fact as it overall would cover about half the CPU underside} as a result I assumed that it wasnt for that. Which left me confused as to whether or not it required tape yet again. In hindesite, I feel stupid :p

Oh well, im going to try and unlock/ensure its seated properly tonight anyway so I'll do it then.

jacheatamobits

I TRIED THAT!

no, the fan, no matter how hard i pushed the CPU, the fan wouldnt reach max. which is why i say that it defeats the purpouse of using it (hence the botched attempt to get it reading more acuratley by sitting it next to the die)

i think its too thick at the tip

OP
C

Ceowulf

Registered
Well, ultimately a new PSU, an unlocked CPU, and a properly seated Heatsink is what I shall aim for in the near future :) Thanks for the time boys.

viper_wc

I agree with jacheatamobits, don't use the sensor, either use full speed(blue jumper) or use the fan adjuster. I'm running my volcano 9 at full speed+(used 15V DC Adapter instead of the mobo power plugs).

It can be noisy, but it cools the chip down. At idle, my TB1200 when not overclocked gets temps 35C idle/45C load but OC is a different story ([email protected]>40C/53C).