• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volcano7+, disappointment (P4)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Richard

Word to the wise. Stick with the retail P4 heatsink.

I figured the Volcano7+ heatsink would be at least a little bit better than the stock P4 retail sink. Boy was I wrong!

Not only is this thing loud (even on medium settings) it is a barely adequate cooler. It performs no better - perhaps even slightly worse - than the retail P4 sink.

Yes, I applied Arctic Silver. Yes, I made sure everything was mounted correctly.

Perhaps, it's a better Socket A heatsink. I don't know. All I know is, it is a poor P4 sink. (Can't stress that enough.)

If you have intentions of getting a better P4 cooler, go water.

OP
Richard

Richard

Little update.

The clip mechanism is part of the reason for the bad temps.

The P4 mounting brackets do not allow for good contact with the CPU. I don't know what rocket scientist designed them, but the standoffs don't allow for maximum clamping pressure.

I recommend bending the flanges up a little. It certainly helps. Although, I'm still not that impressed. I'll run a few more tests, and hopefully provide some numbers.

Another update:

After remounting the heatsink about 5 times, and bending the flanges on the thermaltake mounting bracket I have finally gotten a worthwhile reading.

Under full load @ 2308 MHz @ 1.6 volts I'm getting 50 degrees celsius. Before with the retail I was getting 52-54 C.

Another benefit is that the CPU doesn't appear to be clock throttling like it was before. (Prime95 iteration times fluctuate minimally. (.030 - .033 seconds)

My final impression of the Volcano7+ has potential to be a quite good heatsink, but it appears that the heatsink is hobbled by the clamp mechanism.

Last edited:

alecela

Registered
Richard,

Tx very much for the report...

I must admit I was surprised at your findings...

With C/W ratings at 0.30 for the V7+ and 0.46 for stock HSF, assuming around 56 watts I would expect close to 9C in difference. While there are margins of errors, I don't think you are getting what you deserve... By the same token, I'm surprised that Joe C didn't notice any problem w/ his sample retention clip...

Alpha is supposedly coming out w/ a new HS for socket 478 so with fingers crossed we'll finally get some decent socket 478 heatsink...

alecela

Registered
Richard,

Any luck on the Volcano 7+? I just came across one while I was in Singapore last week and couldn't resist the temption of buying one even w/ your comments... SUUUURELY your were right. The damn thing was barely touching my CPU by looking at the AS stuck on the heatsink... Arghhh..... I tried bending the retention clip as well as inserting some washers between the clip and the base attachment but no luck!!!