• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volt modding a slocket or Slot 1 board to produce a lower voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nixie

Basically the title says it all. I have a spare tualatin processor laying aroung that I would like to put into my server's slot 1 board. I have a slocket that alows me to contol the VID pins to the motherboard but this will only allow me to get the voltage down to a minimum of 1.7 V (which is what the motherboard spec says its voltage regulator supports). Is there a way for me to mod either the board or the slocket to produce a lower voltage. I'm guessing that there should be, its just the method I'm not sure of.

I understand the principle of how increase's in voltage are made (as shown in the sticky) and am guessing that to reduce the voltage I need to do the inverse, i.e increase the value of R2.

Is this correct? I assume that by replacing the resistor with a variable resistor I could can easy control over the voltage.

Or could I disconnect all the VCC pins on the slocket from the motherboard and provided an external power supply direct to the chip?

Back